Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

decibels vs. spl

so today I was rockin out my as-101's and turned up the volume to raise the decibels..later I was crankin up my 210's and as it was really nice out this afternoon, I opened all the windows, and the tunes got noticeably louder...so my spl was overcoming my listening space, hehehe
    the forecast calls for a high pressure system rolling in.
    my neighbors love me..or not
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Re: decibels vs. spl

So let me get this straight.You wanted more db's. But they were spln out your windows, and you think high pressure is going to push them back in ?

Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

actually I thought it was more like compression.. people talk about room gain, but in this case, in a 30x40 room, it seemed the opposite
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I now know exactly what your talking about. I actually cracked a window a few years ago.(whether it was the altecs or four 18"s remains to be seen.or the whole combo.) But if I can make it LOUDER by opening doors and windows? The neighbors will just have to keep on hating me, and we'll see if the local police hired anybody new !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

A room is a box, so open a window and/or a door to the outside world or even another room is like adding a vent, so will be tuned based on its acoustic properties same as a Helmholtz resonator or vented speaker.

Typically it lowers Fb and increases its upper bass, etc., so want to somewhat re-tune a room, then French doors or multiple adjustable windows has worked well for some. One dude used the doors, then re-tuned his speakers to increase efficiency for his flea power amp.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.