Thread: Where to locate port on 604 baffle ??

Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Where to locate port on 604 baffle ??

Hello,

I have actually started to lay out the baffles for my 9 cu ft 604 cabs. I am planning to use a 6" Precision Port on each baffle. I have been thinking through where to locate the ports, and a couple of interesting (or confusing) questions came to mind. My current plan is to locate the 604 high on the baffle (close to seated ear height) and the port would be centered about a quarter (full baffle height) up from the bottom. Looks aesthetically pleasing to me, and if it looks good enough (and sounds good enough), perhaps 'she who must be obeyed' will allow it to parade al fresco.

Then I start reading about the sound energy which should be coming out of a correctly tuned port (no expert I)..... One of the objectives of my putting together a 604 was the coherence of the highs and lows. Is having the port low in the cabinet going to partially compromise that?? Should the port be close to the speaker to minimize the effect? I did a search to try and find info on port placement options/tradeoffs, but came up empty (maybe poorly stated search criteria). I have seen 604 speaker builds with ports high, low, and side facing (2 split ports in Billforts) - this might indicate that the placement is non-critical.

If someone knows, or has been through the process, and understands the issues and tradeoffs of port placement (if, in fact, there are any) then i would greatly appreciate enlightenment!!

thanks and regards -- Roger

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Where to locate port on 604 baffle ??

Roger,

That's the right way to do it - get the 604's on-axis point at ear height, seated, brace the baffle across and front-to-back below it, then cut the port below that.

Works really well.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage