Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: OT Crossover Wiring

Hahaha! And the Mopar guys would do the same because of wasting a perfectly good Mopar part.
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Way Cool report !! How precisely did you implement the wire? I like to pay 50 cents a foot, on eBay, low-balling sellers, for 12 AWG.

With the step-down of the output transformer, ( assuming a tube amp ), you have current - drive, and one can and should ( IMHO ) safely use two to four paralleled runs of 12 AWG, between the amp, and the ALTEC passive crossover. The amount of paralleling, ( 2,3, or 4 runs in parallel, PER POLARITY) I gave everyone guidelines to, is dependent upon the number of Fulton ( 57 1/8th inch ) increments. Now, from the crossover, to the high frequency compression driver, ( as of the last week or so ), I have recently come to understand to NOT use even my existing 14 AWG of Mil Spec - to the 802DS. .More likely, it needs to be 16 AWG, or maybe, just maybe, even 18 AWG, ( so as not to lose the highs ). I need to A-B that when my DIY DC 2A3 JJ amps are done. YMMV.

Inside amps, IMHO, one must use a mixture of various gauge wires, 14 AWG Mil Spec is a decent compromise for many runs, certainly not just a use of 12 AWG. I have stockpiled as small as 18 AWG. I MAY even try 20 AWG on the amp's RCA input jack, to the control grid of the input triode. For that critical span, I shoot for only a two inch wire length, as the "positive" lead. For the direct-couple span, I might want to use 16 AWG, and keep it in the air, not touching anything, and under six inches.

I find it very important to never neatly bundle wire, with tie wraps. It always sounds better to me, when wires don't touch each other, and I like to cross wires at right angles to each other. All of this, I find, is layout, and it can make or break a SET amp, which ( I think ) the E.E.'s will tell us, has no common mode rejection. YMMV. Have fun, all of this is only IMHO.

SD-50, tell us about your precise implementation. Ron seems to like the wire too, wonder what he has done? I wanna to softly, kindly suggest to Ron, it may take more than just James Dickerson's suggestions, to get a A7 or 604 to go !! I think so, but Old Guy likes me to be a better poster, and add .... YMMV. Amen!!

Low Ohms.....Jeff Medwin

I just came across this thread and I have a question for Jeff. Apparently he uses 2 to 4 pairs of 12 AWG wire between amplifier and crossover. He has now come to the conclusion that he needs to use 16 or 18 AWG between crossover and compression driver not to lose the high frequencies. If 12 AWG loses the high frequencies, wouldn't they have been lost already between the amp and crossover? Just askin'

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boli46 View Post
    I just came across this thread and I have a question for Jeff. Apparently he uses 2 to 4 pairs of 12 AWG wire between amplifier and crossover. He has now come to the conclusion that he needs to use 16 or 18 AWG between crossover and compression driver not to lose the high frequencies. If 12 AWG loses the high frequencies, wouldn't they have been lost already between the amp and crossover? Just askin'
    Good question. Out of the amplifier, ( in my case, usually a 2A3 SET ), we have a step-down output transformer, so the signal is being beneficially run at higher currents on the secondary.

With the higher current step-down of the output transformer, we can beneficially use larger wire, for example, double or triple 12 AWG m22759/11 as I suggested , depending on length, ( shorter length is better for most low-powered SET tube amps).

Such wire, because of its construction, having high quality mil spec silver plating, when driven with higher current, can be used amp-to-crossover - and maintain a good transfer function, and wide bandwidth, optimally.

Once you get to the crossover, you have a different situation.

The signal is then going-through / driving parts ..... like Inductors and Capacitors. So, in the crossover, and after it, requires a slightly different wiring approach - to optimize a final result.

Specifically, after ( my DIY ) crossover, I like to run double 12 AWG to each woofer polarity, a 515B, and single 16 AWG wire, to each 802D polarity. I employ single 57 1/8th inch Fulton lengths. Always m22579/11 Mil Spec wire, for my ALTEC speakers. NO stock ALTEC press-to-fit connectors ever used, solder directly to drivers, carefully, and very very thoughtfully.

I hope this makes sense to you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me, email or phone. Would be glad to assist.

One other minor tip, when I parallel wires, I prefer to keep the Mil Spec designation writing on the paralleled wires pointing in the same direction, same direction as the wire was manufactured in the factory, all two or three wires. Easy to do.

Have FUN !!

Jeff ..... Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 1st, 2017 at 11:15 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Jeff just do the coat hanger vs monster cable test. Blindfolded.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDER View Post
    Jeff just do the coat hanger vs monster cable test. Blindfolded.

On WHO''s audio system ??

Jeff

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Your of coarse. I couldn't tell the difference. Google it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDER View Post
    Your of coarse. I couldn't tell the difference. Google it.

Yes, I Googled read that. Thanks !

Here is " my " take, and you may be different, which is OK :

(1) They were just inexperienced listeners,

(2) using unfamiliar material that was not their references,

(3) and AVERAGE middle-of-the-road audio equipment,

(4) that can't really sort-things-out, at a high level.

(5) " blind" testing, in such circumstances, does NOT add a bit of validity to their conclusions.

It takes a system where NOTHING is " losing it ", to be able to make good audio listening determinations.

LOL, it does NOT take special hearing, ( nor having an " ELITEST" attitude Phil G.), nor a mega-budget - just a KISS, well-set-up system, .......anyone can tell things easily on THAT system.

Most audio systems are TOO complex, and they "lose it", along the way, in any one of a number of places.

So, on the audio system they used, its not surprising to me at all ......."no one could tell anything" !!

Best wishes,

Jeff Medwin.....Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 3rd, 2017 at 09:25 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567