Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

OT: Flower Pots

The use of plants in pots on cabs was covered in a long gone thread on this forum and it wasn't an original idea then. The main purposes put forward were some minor mass loading/damping, and WAF/SAF acceptance factor.

Bug attraction is a problem if the compression drivers have had their bug-screens removed. Then there is the watering.

I would be interested In seeing Dennis Fraker's original material on his new take on this practise.
    Last edited by mah; March 5th, 2017 at 02:04 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: OT: Flower Pots

I understand the idea and theory of mass loading and its possible benefits. With that being said there is no way I am putting any plant that needs water on top of my speakers. I won't even set a drink on top of my speakers/stereo.

I just think about all those classic Walnut speakers with the plant rings on top. The devil I tell ya!

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

with the advent of silk flowers the paradigm has changed. bugs are no longer an issue. watering and the problems that come it, is not necessary.
    plus you can fill the pot with heavier material for a greater mass loading affect.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    with the advent of silk flowers the paradigm has changed. bugs are no longer an issue. watering and the problems that come it, is not necessary.
    plus you can fill the pot with heavier material for a greater mass loading affect.
    I THINK it has truly nothing to do with mass loading, especially after incrementally arriving at 290 pounds of concrete on each of my A7s, ....how can the first five pounds do anything.??

I THINK , guess, the flowers break-up standing waves and nodes, that form around the enclosure, and it is perceived as better sonics when the position is determined, SUBJECTIVELY, by the person positioning and listening near field, ( and - as in my October RMAF experience - any far field listener ).

I sure liked hearing it in October, when Dennis was setting up the Denver RMAF hotel room, and just the two of us were doing this set up. Took him one minute on each GPA 604 MLTL, but he knew what to listen for !!

But who cares to guess "why", certainly not I. I just wanna USE it, reap the practical result, if it improves the music presentation in my living room.

Best wishes.

Low Ohms......Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; March 5th, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post

Can you post some pics of the silk flowers you use?

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    I THINK it has truly nothing to do with mass loading, especially after incrementally arriving at 290 pounds of concrete on each of my A7s, ....how can the first five pounds do anything.??

I THINK , guess, the flowers break-up standing waves and nodes, that form around the enclosure, and it is perceived as better sonics when the position is determined, SUBJECTIVELY, by the person positioning and listening near field, ( and - as in my October RMAF experience - any far field listener ).

I sure liked hearing it in October, when Dennis was setting up the Denver RMAF hotel room, and just the two of us were doing this set up. Took him one minute on each GPA 604 MLTL, but he knew what to listen for !!

But who cares to guess "why", certainly not I. I just wanna USE it, reap the practical result, if it improves the music presentation in my living room.

Best wishes.

Low Ohms......Jeff Medwin
    The problem being, everyone has a different setup and room. It may be for some, improvement may be made by breaking up standing waves, but for other mass loading may be the answer. By sharing our experiences, each of us can try and utilize what works for him. I have seen so many variables, sometimes I doubt the existence of any hard and fast rules. The laws of physics always do apply, just sometimes we may not understand the effects.

I spent a lot of time with the old "cut and try" technique in my early days. I built some awesome speakers and some abysymal ones. Later, I tried using design tools, and frankly on the average the designs improved. The awesone ones still ocasionally happened, the bad ones tended to be medium quality.
    I guess there are many paths to a similar end. I don't think anyone is trying to disrespect what you are saying, at least for me, just that everything you do my not be correct for everyone. A disclaimer such as "this worked for me" works better than coming across posting experiences as having the same result for all.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.