Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec-Lansing Valencia: Improving a Classic

Here's a new article from Audiophile Nirvana about the Altec Valencia, Model 19, and Santiago.

Altec-Lansing Valencia: Improving a Classic - Audiophile Nirvana

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: Altec-Lansing Valencia: Improving a Classic

Knocked a stock set of 19's off the pedestal.

Personally, I would have put the 19 Xover in the Valencia with the 902-8B first and compared the two.
    Then the drivers are identical. Only the box is different.
    Well, almost......the 19's should have come with 802-8G hF drivers if they were equipped with the 416-8B woofs.
    I personally think the 902-8A sounds better.
    Then done the biamp test with both the Valencia and the 19's and re-compare.
    Finally add the subs.

HF extension is improved in the stock Altec horn drivers by removing the bug screens btw.
    I'm not familiar with the substitute HF driver that was used?

I use Altec 8184 18" subs with my 19's and I like it very well. Crossed at 70hZ. I do not have phase correction for the subs.

I'd love to have some 846B's. But the days of finding some cheap are long gone I'm afraid.

Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We may revisit these tests and try your suggestions for a Part 2 follow-up. Hopefully some of the tweaks and mods will benefit owners of these speaker systems.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

As the owner of a set of HeathKit AS 101's, I'm following this closely. I have a set of Model 19 crossovers that I will be installing shortly. You can see my build here: My Altec Model 19 crossover build | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
    I have also installed 902 drivers along with a tapper bored adapter 3/4 of an inch thick to ease the transition from the 7/8" bore in the driver to the 1" hole in the horn. Being 3/4" thick the tapper matches quite well to the driver tapper. Take the bug screens out, I don't see a need for them in a residence and it can only help.
    The HeathKits are basically a nicer built cabinet than the Valencias and have the same volume.
    I'm interested in what you come up with for port size and if you retain the fiberfill. I hadn't thought of using that.
    Keep us posted!
    By the way, your going to run up the prices on Valencias so if anyone is looking you better grab some now. LOL

BillWojo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    As the owner of a set of HeathKit AS 101's, I'm following this closely. I have a set of Model 19 crossovers that I will be installing shortly. You can see my build here: My Altec Model 19 crossover build | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
    I have also installed 902 drivers along with a tapper bored adapter 3/4 of an inch thick to ease the transition from the 7/8" bore in the driver to the 1" hole in the horn. Being 3/4" thick the tapper matches quite well to the driver tapper. Take the bug screens out, I don't see a need for them in a residence and it can only help.
    The HeathKits are basically a nicer built cabinet than the Valencias and have the same volume.
    I'm interested in what you come up with for port size and if you retain the fiberfill. I hadn't thought of using that.
    Keep us posted!
    By the way, your going to run up the prices on Valencias so if anyone is looking you better grab some now. LOL

BillWojo
    Thing of beauty.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lansing4412 View Post
    We may revisit these tests and try your suggestions for a Part 2 follow-up. Hopefully some of the tweaks and mods will benefit owners of these speaker systems.
    Sweet.
    Interesting about tilting them back a few degrees. I do the same.

I also damp the horns. And I went rather radical and removed the vanes. I remembered Jim Dickenson telling me those were there to ensure coverage in a theatre.
    Prob not for everyone, I just figured why not. 811's are still cheap.

Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I couldn't agree more with the Audio Nervana folks. With the DSP helping make Altec's a super speaker that is. The tech wasn't available in the 70's & 80's. Now that it's here, there is no reason not to run digital high pass and good subs. Room correction has got me to a place where I could never go back from.

I have Altec tone, dynamics, resolution and retro coolness with none of the drawbacks. Most new "Super speakers" I hear at the shows sound broken compared to my DSP assisted model 14's.
    Last edited by Nickd; March 18th, 2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added "more" to first sentence to fix accidental omission.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
    I couldn't agree with the Audio Nervana folks. With the DSP helping make Altec's a super speaker that is. The tech wasn't available in the 70's & 80's. Now that it's here, there is no reason not to run digital high pass and good subs. Room correction has got me to a place where I could never go back from.

I have Altec tone, dynamics, resolution and retro coolness with none of the drawbacks. Most new "Super speakers" I hear at the shows sound broken compared to my DSP assisted model 14's.
    I couldn't agree more. The old Altecs and JBLs, when assisted by a new loudspeaker management system, are hard to beat.