Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: 904-8A speakers in the house

I would recommend anything Jeff has designed. My Markwart 604G xovers sound great

Maybe you could salvage some parts from the original xovers. The coils and Lpads at least

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I've spoken to Jeff about this.
    The woofer of the 904 is different impedance than the 8K.
    This is why I was looking for Clio impedance and freq response plots for the 904 a month or so ago.
    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, historically the key points are 1.5 kHz, 2nd order low pass, 3rd order high pass and nominal 8 ohms XO, so is theoretically close enough unless it has a zobel, which the simplified XO doesn't, but I'm no computer aided XO designer, so looking forward to his thoughts.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just finished Jeff Markwart?s simplified XO for my 604-8Ks and they are excellent, superior to the stock Altec XO. Using better parts as well, Solen coils, PIO and Teflon caps, mil-spec silver/copper Teflon wire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    I picked up the crossovers today. Pulled the cover off of one and boy do they look like a PIA to rebuild. They look similar to Model 19 crossovers in the layout but the aluminum panel is bent up on the end about 3" instead of being flat. Blocks easy access to the terminal strip. Add the mess of wires crossing over top of the terminal strips and most of the components are buried under a mass of wires.
    There are two L-pads, three transformer type inductors, an EQ pushbutton switch with no less than ten wires and one jumper attached. Plus four ceramic resistors and five capacitors. Needless to say, it's kind of busy in that box.
    I have searched for a schematic but can't find anything on the 904-8A crossover. Does anyone have one they could share?
    Thanks

BillWojo
    Rewire my 604-8k XOs with 16g Teflon mil-spec wire, PIA! Sounded much better after replacing the grotty stock wire, but not as good as Jeff Markwarts model.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12