Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec 604e Questions

Hi All,

I recently got a pair of 604e. Firstly mine dont say "Super" and they dont have a stamping on the basket that I can see, instead there appears to be a serial number on the label itself (392 is one of them i've checked). So I take it this is a fairly early version?

Also please take a look at my frequency plots. Does this look ok to you guys?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior Hostboard Member Goldjazz's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604e Questions

freq response. measured from the listening position about 6 feet away from speakers.

- - - Updated - - -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The 'Model 604 Duplex' as opposed to the 'Super Duplex' AFAIK indicates an later manufacturing date for the 604E. Altec called the 604E 'Super Duplex on the 1968 cut sheet (when it was a division of Ling and with a NY office), but by 1973 simply the Model 604E Duplex(Altec Corporation only and only CA).
    Somewhere on them should be a number 391xxx, with the x being the year and the xx the month. 391025 will be the 25th week of 1970. It may be under the diaphragm cap.
    Last edited by magnarc; April 1st, 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    The 'Model 604 Duplex' as opposed to the 'Super Duplex' AFAIK indicates an later manufacturing date for the 604E. Altec called the 604E 'Super Duplex on the 1968 cut sheet (when it was a division of Ling and with a NY office), but by 1973 simply the Model 604E Duplex(Altec Corporation only and only CA).
    Somewhere on them should be a number 391xxx, with the x being the year and the xx the month. 391025 will be the 25th week of 1970. It may be under the diaphragm cap.
    Thanks for the reply. Interesting to know they dropped the "Super". I can't seem to find a single picture of another 604e without the Super, must have been a little less common. Just biamped them, sound pretty good.

Junior Hostboard Member Twodawgz's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

My 604Es are biamped with a Marchand Electronics XM-26 Active Tube Crossover, Cary CAA solid state on the bottom, McIntosh MC225 on the top. Best addition I ever made to my system (over 40 years) was biamping.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twodawgz View Post
    My 604Es are biamped with a Marchand Electronics XM-26 Active Tube Crossover, Cary CAA solid state on the bottom, McIntosh MC225 on the top. Best addition I ever made to my system (over 40 years) was biamping.
    That sounds like a great setup. Im using a first watt b4 active crossover with the power section of a sansui au 10000 100w integrated on the bass and an accuphase a30 30 watt classs A solid state on the highs. Very impressed with the 604e. Mine are in cabinets similar in size to big red monitors.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Never seen those labels before. Loved by Es way back when in 606 cabs... Terminator II cranked up was fun!