Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

One for Todd

Todd, This forum occasionally meets a dead-end when pursuing Altec information. Given the support this forum has given to GPA over the years would it be possible for an approach be made to BillH to contribute to the forum in these cases.

A small list of questions could be compiled and occasionally put to Bill by a nominated forum representative.

At present the topic of 604-8K cones is floundering and the idea that 604s with Mantaray horns have specially profiled cones might be addressed.

Those who know this sort of info are few and out of contact. Bill is probably the currently most knowledgeable guy we know of and he has lots of documents.

Any info provided should be archived after posting on the forum.

Just a thought,

Marshall.
    Last edited by mah; April 8th, 2017 at 02:25 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: One for Todd

Mah, i sincerely applaud and respect your idea and intention.

I would just ask you to give great consideration as to why Bill has remained directly "un-connected" to this, or any other discussion forum thus far.

Trying to keep it short and sweet, i would just ask you to consider certain ways in which the revelation of "historical fact" might have a less than positive effect on a current business model operating in a tenuous at best market.

There are many Altec questions i would like the answers to myself. I know the answers to some of them are perfectly harmless while others have the potential to have a negative impact. IMO, a public forum is not the place to ask them, or ask a person in Bill's situation to give an answer that will be publicized. As much as i would love to know some of these answers, i feel it would be poor etiquette to publicly put Bill and potentially his business "on the hook" for them.

Mah, i promise i am not trying to be a thorn in your side. I really just want to share my slightly outside the box perspective. I am considering what is in Bill and GPA's best interest first since at the end of the day the work GPA does to preserve everyone's Altec drivers is probably more important than knowing the facts of yesterday. Maybe there are ways to get the questions answered without causing any conflict, and i fully support your idea in this context, i think it's a good one especially if it can be done without any negative impact for Bill/GPA.

We're not going to have GPA forever. If you are wondering who is going to pick up the torch when Bill is done carrying it, i would ask you to review the demise of theVancouver Audio(David Lee), and Micro-Mike(bill Hayes) businesses.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Its gonna suck when GPA isn't around anymore. With how vintage audio popularity is it will be interesting to see how popular Altec is in 20-30 years. Maybe it will be treated like the old 1930's radio stuff is now. Or maybe how WE stuff is treated now. It will be interesting.

I would say in situations like the 604 cone question, someone could ask Bill and then post the answer here but "unoffically" from Bill. He doesn't have to be named.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Bowtie, I wasn't expecting that Bill be involved online with the Forum, just occasionally provide some advice to Forum management from his experience. I should have been more clear in this regard.

Your insight is appreciated.

As I said, it was "just a thought".
    Last edited by mah; April 8th, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I've got it.
    I could move to OKC and have Bill teach me the trade.
    And since I'm an E85 turbo LS Nova guy, I could join the Street Outlaws guys and do some street racing.
    Yeah, that's the ticket!

Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

HB Super Moderator
    One for Todd

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Mah, i sincerely applaud and respect your idea and intention.

I would just ask you to give great consideration as to why Bill has remained directly "un-connected" to this, or any other discussion forum thus far.

Trying to keep it short and sweet, i would just ask you to consider certain ways in which the revelation of "historical fact" might have a less than positive effect on a current business model operating in a tenuous at best market.

There are many Altec questions i would like the answers to myself. I know the answers to some of them are perfectly harmless while others have the potential to have a negative impact. IMO, a public forum is not the place to ask them, or ask a person in Bill's situation to give an answer that will be publicized. As much as i would love to know some of these answers, i feel it would be poor etiquette to publicly put Bill and potentially his business "on the hook" for them.

Mah, i promise i am not trying to be a thorn in your side. I really just want to share my slightly outside the box perspective. I am considering what is in Bill and GPA's best interest first since at the end of the day the work GPA does to preserve everyone's Altec drivers is probably more important than knowing the facts of yesterday. Maybe there are ways to get the questions answered without causing any conflict, and i fully support your idea in this context, i think it's a good one especially if it can be done without any negative impact for Bill/GPA.

We're not going to have GPA forever. If you are wondering who is going to pick up the torch when Bill is done carrying it, i would ask you to review the demise of theVancouver Audio(David Lee), and Micro-Mike(bill Hayes) businesses.

Thanks Bowtie you took the words right out of my mouth ! I asked Bill 3-3.5 years ago about coming to the forum...He knew where I was coming from as Todd's Moderator of the Altec User Board.Let's just say that won't happen anytime soon, he discussed his reasons and asked not to share them publicly which I won't. Bowtie is very close to the mark here.Bill is more interested in growing his business and doesn't have time to go online much he is a very busy man.As Altec Lovers let's help him stay in business for a long time and keep ordering those Altec parts from GPA.. That's how we as a community can ensure GPA will be around for a longtime to come !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hanuschak is doing all he can to keep his business going (that's a HINT), and he's just not a "forum kind of guy", so, together, that means it probably isn't going to happen.

Bill Hayes' son sold MicroMike Labs to someone, can't remember who, but I have it saved on my computer, and he's supposed to open it back up, hopefully soon.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Bill Hayes' son sold MicroMike Labs to someone, can't remember who, but I have it saved on my computer, and he's supposed to open it back up, hopefully soon.
    He sold much of the equipment on ebay some time back, it was discussed here.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Maybe we all need to send some of our extra woofers to GPA for a recone. You know, just to give them a little boost

I have projects lined up for years to come. I need GPA to be around

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, would hate to be at the mercy of epay, etc., and in the USA, don't even know who can/would re-cone, magnetize AlNiCo on an individual basis.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.