Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Altec 816s any good?

Bowtie, I am trying to getaway from adding a sub or subs.....
    Then you would be well served to get away from mid-bass horn loading your woofer. I don't mean that to sound snarky or wise, just practical.

Most of us here have spent plenty of time pursuing the dream of the widest possible range in a 2-way system, and the majority end up supplementing with a woofer/subwoofer system of some variety.

That said, if i were still hellbent on that mission myself an option i'd like to explore would be a reflex horn that Altec designed for IPC and sold under the Simplex name. It's larger than an 825/828, but smaller than the 210/211, and i wonder how the 9846 engine might morph into that horn/box.

altec simplex voice theatre speaker 1 e752aaf274df8204f6b4a5bb5f8fd82b
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    Hey GM, I know this is an old thread but surprised it was not closed by the admin.... I recently picked up a set of the 9864-8As and was thinking about putting the 515-8GHP and associated horn into a cabinet like the one you just described.... as I understand it, I would remove the bottoms of my 825s? How much space to leave for the vent slots? Will I be better off just putting into my spare 825s?

Kwing
    Greets!

Why would they close it? They're left open just for times like now.

As Bowtie noted, there's little to gain over the 816VI cabs.

Without measured basic T/S specs, don't know how good a 'fit' they are in the 825/828.

If they are 'close enough' to GPA's specs, then I know from its use in a large custom Edgar horn that even though its Vas spec is an excellent 'fit' for the 825,
    it doesn't do well unless tuned really high due to it super low Qt.

Since you have the 825 cabs, might as well try it and re-tune the vent to best overall performance and it is what it is.

That said, if you happen to have a matching impedance SET amp or even better, a period correct [post WWII - mid '50s] high output impedance amp with variable DF tone controls, then tune to actual Fs and use the EQ to flatten it out down to around 42 Hz for a true vintage bass line.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    The bass is too flabby in the as designed cabinets.

Not sure what GM meant when he suggested a 500Hz horn...
    Based on the GPA units, they will be at another level of 'flabby' in a stock 825.

I was talking about the need for a < 500 Hz XO if using an 816 as part of a typical two way system.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Greets!

Why would they close it? They're left open just for times like now.

As Bowtie noted, there's little to gain over the 816VI cabs.

Without measured basic T/S specs, don't know how good a 'fit' they are in the 825/828.

If they are 'close enough' to GPA's specs, then I know from its use in a large custom Edgar horn that even though its Vas spec is an excellent 'fit' for the 825,
    it doesn't do well unless tuned really high due to it super low Qt.

Since you have the 825 cabs, might as well try it and re-tune the vent to best overall performance and it is what it is.

That said, if you happen to have a matching impedance SET amp or even better, a period correct [post WWII - mid '50s] high output impedance amp with variable DF tone controls, then tune to actual Fs and use the EQ to flatten it out down to around 42 Hz for a true vintage bass line.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Based on the GPA units, they will be at another level of 'flabby' in a stock 825.

I was talking about the need for a < 500 Hz XO if using an 816 as part of a typical two way system.

GM
    GM that would be further down the line from my activities... after I got the 9864a pair into the garage and looked at them, I realize they ar ethe size of the 825 when stacked on top of each other horizontal. I am doing minor repairs to the veneer of the cabinets, mostly in the corners. Otherwise they are in pretty good shape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12