Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OT, Cool Review, Tube Amp for ALTECS, etc

Hello everyone,

I got " heat " up here, was " dismissed " when I referred to amplifiers, not speakers being the weak link.

I was dismissed up here by a fellow Forum Member when I referred to a review of my friend's 2A3 amps , by Herb Reichert, at the last 2016 RMAF / Denver show. " I don't care what one reviewer has to say ".

This morning, a new unsolicited User-review, of my good buddy ( since 1988 !!! ) Dennis' 2A3 amps, appeared on line.

Realize, I personally hear his amps each year, at RMAF, and I am very confident no one living can touch Dennis' amps' performance on ALTECS. He uses a GPA 604 MLTL, at home, and at the Denver shows. Being a best friend, I get to DIY implement his amps fairly closely ( not exact ) at home, and its my "reference" amplification, on my VOTT A7-800 hybrid system.

Take a look at what this fellow, a new owner of the latest amps, wrote today:

REVIEW: Serious Stereo 2a3 Monos Amplifier (Tube) - [email protected] - SET Asylum

DISCLAIMERS - 2 :

(1) I never knew of the " new Owner " until today's post, nor have I ever met him.

(2) Unlike he, I have been best friends with Dennis Fraker since 1988. Dennis of Serious Stereo, was in the movie theater service business, most of his adult life, and has owned and set-up multitudes of theaters, and he has decades - LOTS of ALTEC ( and high-end ) audio experience.

I post this, not just because Dennis is a friend, but because I know he has the best possible amps to use on ALTECS, and obtaining THAT performance level in audio interests me, greatly.

In my heart, IMHO, IME, FWIW, I've known for decades, amps are the real turkeys, NOT SPEAKERS. YMMV, but I doubt it !!

Having sat in front of Dennis' latest JJ 2A3-40 amps for three full days at Denver last October, I can identify fully with the experiences this new reviewer / owner is expressing to us all. Right on !!

Besides Herbert Reichert ( Stereophile) , look-up and read Stephaen Harrell's ( Six Moons ) review of Dennis - at RMAF 2006 !!

Jeff Medwin ............. Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; April 24th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.