Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations internal speaker wire?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Any recommendations internal speaker wire?

A considered view: AUDIOTECHNIEK - Cables and the Amplifier/Speaker Interface - OpusKlassiek

There is a good summary provided.

If you are experiencing crosstalk at your speakers the problem probably comes from your amp or its sources. Their is very little difference between speaker cables in this regard in domestic cable runs - see the above article.

Preliminary check: try different cables. If that doesn't solve the problem, here's a check method:

To check your speaker cables for crosstalk:

1. Note the position of the volume pot on your amp for your normal listening level. Turn the amp OFF.

2. Unhook cable A at the speaker and connect a resistor of similar value to the speaker, and ample rating, in its place.

3. Unhook cable B at the amp end and short the + and - wires together for SS amps or connect a 2 or 3 ohm resistor( 1 watt will do) across the + and - wires for tube amps.

4. Turn your amp ON. With music playing, and in steps, turn the volume knob up until you reach the previously noted position all the while listening to speaker B.

If the music is coming from speaker B then there is capacitive or magnetic coupling to the cables. Noticeable capacitive coupling of the speaker is very unlikely in domestic systems - see the article above. Move the cables around and see if their is any change. If there is, the problem is probably electromagnetic. Twisted wire is better in this regard.

Then repeat the above for B and A instead of A and B.

If you hear music then.

5. Connect your speakers with the shortest length cable that is feasible. If the noise remains it may well be that the amp input circuitry, or a source, is capacitively coupling to the amp output - refer to the above article.

Of course different cables can be substituted for a comparison with the existing cables. I think in the US that you can return purchased items so this would be a no-cost initial test. Unfortunately this is not so in some countries.
    Last edited by mah; June 23rd, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    A considered view: AUDIOTECHNIEK - Cables and the Amplifier/Speaker Interface - OpusKlassiek

There is a good summary provided.

If you are experiencing crosstalk at your speakers the problem probably comes from your amp or its sources. Their is very little difference between speaker cables in this regard in domestic cable runs - see the above article.

Preliminary check: try different cables. If that doesn't solve the problem, here's a check method:

To check your speaker cables for crosstalk:

1. Note the position of the volume pot on your amp for your normal listening level. Turn the amp OFF.

2. Unhook cable A at the speaker and connect a resistor of similar value to the speaker, and ample rating, in its place.

3. Unhook cable B at the amp end and short the + and - wires together for SS amps or connect a 2 or 3 ohm resistor( 1 watt will do) across the + and - wires for tube amps.

4. Turn your amp ON. With music playing, and in steps, turn the volume knob up until you reach the previously noted position all the while listening to speaker B.

If the music is coming from speaker B then there is capacitive or magnetic coupling to the cables. Noticeable capacitive coupling of the speaker is very unlikely in domestic systems - see the article above. Move the cables around and see if their is any change. If there is, the problem is probably electromagnetic. Twisted wire is better in this regard.

Then repeat the above for B and A instead of A and B.

If you hear music then.

5. Connect your speakers with the shortest length cable that is feasible. If the noise remains it may well be that the amp input circuitry, or a source, is capacitively coupling to the amp output - refer to the above article.

Of course different cables can be substituted for a comparison with the existing cables. I think in the US that you can return purchased items so this would be a no-cost initial test. Unfortunately this is not so in some countries.

mah,

Just because a guy has an EE degree, is a professor, and has patents, and papers published, does NOT make him correct by definition in what he publishes !!

In fact, this guy is pretty sloppy in certain ways. Your own post, done with the intent of helping others, becomes a distaster, just like the other post where you " EE proved " there was no difference in AWG s needed, beyond a certain AWG, for crossover construction. LOL. What a sad joke.

This silly EE Professor, R.A. Greiner, reports sloppily and is in error. He discusses Robert Fulton, ( my first audio mentor ) and Robert's "Fulton Gold" speaker cable, and Greiner gets it ALL wrong.

Greiner says the following in writing ( and if its in writing, published, from an EE, it MUST be true )

" The third is a plastic-jacketed pair of 'welding size' conductor real welding cables. I believe - from Fulton. "

Robert was alive in 1984, Greiner could have called him and discovered what the cables really were, and how they came about!! I was Robert's Southern California Factory Representative, and I could have told EE Greiner what the cables were, to a certain degree. I did a public Audio Seminar in the early 1980s in Los Angeles, Sutro Auditorium, where Mr. Fulton came in from Minneapolis, and discussed his cables, and audio, at length, answered questions form the public, and we did a speaker demonstration.

Better for this whacky professor to get information direct from Robert, rather than write MIS information and highlight his ignorance and lack of preparation.

We don't need any theory what so ever. I can take ANY member of this Forum, and on MY ALTEC system, in my apartment, I can A-B the difference between each of my amp-to-crossover leads not touching at all, and touching in one, or maybe two spots, going to each channel. It is a 114 1/4 inch run in each case. ANY and ALL would plainly hear it !! And KNOW precisely what way to set it up, what sounds best, at least in "my" listening room, with my gear.

Oh well, your intent may be good, but your post and reference flunks, doesn't cut the mustard. Its laughable to me. Don't be discouraged, keep trying. But maybe you should be listening to things, with your ears, and post from THAT PERSPECTIVE, instead of just reading papers on line with your eyes, and believing its true ????

Jeff Medwin......Low Ohms.
    Last edited by LowOhms; June 24th, 2017 at 12:43 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Well, the professor had a pair of Fulton's cables, so after testing them he knew that they really weren't particularly special. He didn't say they were necessarily bad, either.

You disparage pretty well anything that disagrees with your view of audio based on 'I can hear it'. Well, get some credibility for your claim by submitting yourself to a COMPREHENSIVE hearing testing by the best Audiologists. Universities would love to verify your claims and it probably wouldn't cost you a penny.
    "Ears into their 8th decade outperform teenagers, dogs and bats", I can just see the headline.

Post the results for us all to see. Then you could show your credibility. Unfortunately you seem more comfortable denegrating others to avoid having your claims subjected to scrutiny.

This professor has credibility. You do not. Prove him wrong. Take the test.
    Last edited by mah; June 24th, 2017 at 01:48 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Well, the professor had a pair of Fulton's cables, so after testing them he knew that they really weren't particularly special. He didn't say they were necessarily bad, either.

You disparage pretty well anything that disagrees with your view of audio based on 'I can hear it'. Well, get some credibility for your claim by submitting yourself to a COMPREHENSIVE hearing testing by the best Audiologists. Universities would love to verify your claims and it probably wouldn't cost you a penny.
    "Ears in their 80th decade outperform teenagers, dogs and bats", I can just see the headline.

Post the results for us all to see. Then you could show your credibility. Unfortunately you seem more comfortable denegrating others to avoid having your claims subjected to scrutiny.

This professor has credibility. You do not. Prove him wrong. Take the test.

Your comments are personal attacks, rather than any thing helpful.

and in quite poor taste.

there was a troll, doing the same, @diyaudio.com.

constantly attacking one person, for the most part.

tho not exclusively.

this had gone on for years,

finally resulting in his being banned.

he was also, a moderator.

which was truly sad, as he was capable of much greater things.
    guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,

fat ....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tom, I respect that you and Jeff are long time personal friends. A couple of other individuals over the years have stated on forums that they found Jeff to be good, in-person, company.

His overall on-line history is anything but what you are saying. I dearly wish that the persona you describe was generally displayed toward others on-line.

I disagree with many of Jeff's posts because they contain false or misleading information. He seldom credibly substantiates his statements and engages in obfuscation or abuse in reply. His forum record is not good in this regard. Re obsession, have you ever really considered what keeps Jeff continuing to put up the same old stuff, year after year on so many forums at every minimal opportunity, even when his opinions have been invalidated by so many people.

Don't make it personal. It's about his unsupported opinions and demonstrated intimidating behaviour toward those who disagree with him, plain and simple.

Altec is derived from All TECHNICAL Services. Guess who supports TECHNICAL and who dismisses it?

************** I SUGGEST THAT ALL WHO ARE UNHAPPY WITH MY POSTINGS REFER THE MATTER TO TODD WHITE. ***********
    Last edited by mah; June 24th, 2017 at 03:28 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Guess who supports TECHNICAL and who dismisses it?
    Talking to you is like talking to a child,

Whoms age wanders between 8, and 15.
    guns kill people,

fat ....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tom, put-downs are an admission that you can't support your opinion.

Let Jeff support his views. If you can help him support his views then discuss it with him. He is an adult and can handle replies himself.
    Last edited by mah; June 24th, 2017 at 03:44 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Tom, put-downs are an admission that you can't support your opinion.
    Yeah.

Sure.

i was going to buy some graphite rods, to make some monomolecular carbon dioxidide,

might get some of that wire, instead ...

random pic -

guns kill people,

fat ....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I suggest that comments not related to the OP be posted here: MAH vs LOW OHMS

I don't agree with the thread title. The issue is more to do with Jeff's misleading posts and his behaviour toward those who disagree with them. Anyhow, better here than hijacking other threads.

Post #2 states the issue in plain English.
    Last edited by mah; June 24th, 2017 at 07:25 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I have to take Marshall's side on this one. Jeff pollutes many of the post on this site saying the same thing over and over. If you disagree with him, he will belittle you and tell you that you don't understand. He never offers up any creditable science or proof, just offers up his mentors who interestingly enough have never offered up any either.
    I feel like I'm arguing with a close minded child when dealing with Jeff and it is getting very tiresome.
    I agree with Marshall on a hearing test for Jeff. Not once has he offered up any proof beyond his hearing. If Jeff is to have any credibility than he must prove that his hearing is supernatural. And than of course we must find out why that none of this can be measured with instruments.
    I know the US Navy can identify almost any ship out in the seas a half a world away from the sonic signature of the prop. Even two seemingly identical ships will have slightly different sonic signatures.
    Anyway, I'm tired of posting on this board and having Jeff crap in my threads.

BillWojo