Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another "I Wonder . . . " Question

Considering the HF rolloff of my 802Ds, I was wondering what would happen if I made a "Y" adaptor and mounted the 802s on one flange, and a UHF driver of some sort (say, PRV Audio D230TI?) on the other. With a steep crossover dividing the two at, say, 10K, would the result be nice extended range, or garbled nonsense?

GeeDeeEmm

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another "I Wonder . . . " Question

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Considering the HF rolloff of my 802Ds, I was wondering what would happen if I made a "Y" adaptor and mounted the 802s on one flange, and a UHF driver of some sort (say, PRV Audio D230TI?) on the other. With a steep crossover dividing the two at, say, 10K, would the result be nice extended range, or garbled nonsense?

GeeDeeEmm
    Hi,

Without offending, I vote for garbled nonsense.

An 802D can have a SUBJECTIVELY beautiful top end, I have heard it !!

The problem is NOT the ALTEC driver, but what drives and preceeds it, in most cases with an 802D, 604, etc. IMHO..

(1) Do you amps play high,.... almost ever SET amp I hear, does not, is a nice midrange device.

(2) Is your wiring wide band??

(3) HOW are the caps in your crossover configured. What are they, and have needed steps been taken by you, to have your crossover capacitors PLAY wide-band, in the tweeter circuit ????

( For example, are they bypassed with smaller films? If so, how, what values, what types??? )

I may be able to suggest a couple of easy-to-implement ideas, to try GDM. Not too expensive either.

Jeff
    Last edited by LowOhms; June 16th, 2017 at 01:24 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Another "I Wonder . . . " Question

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Y adapters are problematic, use another horn for the HF.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have a couple of JBL 2404 'baby butt cheek' compression driven tweeters in a drawer. After a hearing check I couldn't see much benefit in adding them to the 802/511b. Maybe curiosity will get the better of me.
    I did investigate the idea, somewhat, and this is one of the better takes on the subject that I found:

Adding a JBL O77, O75 Tweeter to two way altec system

Also, be mindful that JBL normally used passive crossovers with such tweeters.

Those who have added tweeters to their Altecs report mixed feelings about the result with many preferring to remove them.

This was a popular mod amongst the Klipsch forum guys.
    Last edited by mah; June 16th, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

(1) Do you amps play high,.... almost ever SET amp I hear, does not, is a nice midrange device.

I assume you mean does it do the hf well? Not that it matters to me as my hf hearing rolls off at about 10K but my McIntosh Lab MC40 monoblocks play pretty flat well over 20K, if I recall they go over 50K before falling off. Yes, I know they are PP and not SE amps but they have a very flat frequency response curve and very low distortion.

Jeff, your a lot older than me, where does your hearing roll off?

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

GeeDeeEmm

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post

I assume you mean does it do the hf well? Not that it matters to me as my hf hearing rolls off at about 10K but my McIntosh Lab MC40 monoblocks play pretty flat well over 20K, if I recall they go over 50K before falling off. Yes, I know they are PP and not SE amps but they have a very flat frequency response curve and very low distortion.

Jeff, your a lot older than me, where does your hearing roll off?

BillWojo

You, and mah, from your posts in this thread, do not understand the idea of our high frequency hearing test results, and actually listening to reproduced music.

TRUE STORY, In the 1970s, Mr. Fulton had a woman in her 80s, as part of his listening panel. She didn't hear much above 5K, and Robert told me " she couldn't hear a watch ticking if you put it up to her ear."

One day, Robert pulled the fuses out, left and right, from the top-most tweeter in his " big " speaker, which was flat to 80 KHZ. The top most section rolled in at 32KHZ for a crossover, as I recall.

GUESS WHAT the 80 year old woman said, immediately ??? " What happened to the highs ??? "

Look up the term, RESULTANTs, and study that some !!

One other thing, just because your amp measure on SINE waves to 40K, does NOT mean it will play the speakers up high.

Anything you think your amp may do, tends to get lost in the wiring to the drivers, and gets lost in the unbypassed single caps in your speaker crossover. The system never plays music with correct presence.

Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; June 27th, 2017 at 01:37 PM.

Junior Hostboard Member streetwise23's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Without offending, I vote for garbled nonsense"
    In response to this I must say with all due respect and I mean with all due respect Jeff you don't seem to know shit from shinola.
    Your "True Story" sounds like the biggest load of B.S. ive read in awhile and I read alot "flat to 80khz" boy oh boy things aren't like they used to make them somebody should've stopped coming up with new designs and just figured out how to replicate ol' man fulton's big ol speaker. I think you should read up on hearing tests and a basic understanding of human hearing before bad mouthing the other forum members for calling out your poorly laid out sales pitches time after time.

Here's a thought if someone were to create a poll offering an option of who wants to hear the ramblings of a closed minded know it all old man vs not having to read about 57 and quarter inches or whatever the koolaid has been spiked with up on the ol' Medwin Ranch for the evening. Would you lay of posting anything unless asked to if the answer to that poll were unanimous.

Just a thought and I said this "with all due respect" so you can't get mad!

- - - Updated - - -

Where does the 802D roll off, I feel like Zilch measured it back in the day and had a graph

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

802 response - go to post #17: Freq response 802-8D on 511B

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff, I looked up the term RESULTANTS in my dictionary and using GOOGLE searches and didn't find anything that clarified your posting. Would you mind explaining what you mean by it?
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Junior Hostboard Member streetwise23's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    802 response - go to post #17: Freq response 802-8D on 511B

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff, I looked up the term RESULTANTS in my dictionary and using GOOGLE searches and didn't find anything that clarified your posting. Would you mind explaining what you mean by it?
    Thanks those graphs showed what I expected slightly better than 806a but not by much as far as hf rolloff. They probably didn't do there tests with "proper wideband wiring at proper lengths" Those goofs at Altec didn't even think to run multiple runs of 12awg wiring to there woofer voice coils.!

Looked up Resultants too, didn't find anything did find plenty of information on hearing tests though and how to read them, not sure why the word resultants isn't anywhere to be found must be misprints!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast