Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried " Flex Seal " for Horn DAMPING ???

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone tried " Flex Seal " for Horn DAMPING ???

Saw this " Flex Seal " on TV today.

Products Archive - Official Site - Flex Seal(R) Family Of Products

WHO has tried it ?? What did / do you think ?

I am looking to damp the back-side ( internal ) of my two 825s' four WOOFER flares.

I'm told ... old fashioned road tar and felt , applied HOT, is " state of the art ", but wish to avoid the hassle.

This has been around for at least five years, just "new" to me ...today.

Thanks in advance.

Low Ohms......Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 2nd, 2017 at 06:09 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Anyone tried " Flex Seal " for Horn DAMPING ???

No, just the tape several years ago to stop a small water leak and it didn't work as advertised.

Anyway, it takes a fair amount of mass loading to damp them, though not as much as the cabs proper. FWIW, I filled them with kitty litter and it seemed to be as good as the much heavier sand recommendation done by the then local distributor's inhouse pair of 'pallet' kits.

If you choose to use it anyway, recommend loading it with sterile sand or if it's thick enough, small gravel, otherwise just stiffen them a bunch using MDF, old ceramic tile or similar heavy scrap stuck on using PL400; just glob on ~ball like blotches and slap it on, rotating it back n' forth a bit to seat it, i.e. don't squeeze it out of the joint, just let it 'float' to make a constrained layer damping' node [CLD].

This became my default way to deal with damping limp stuff after trying it on the backside of a cheap one piece bathtub/shower insert back in '82?. It still feels as rigid, solid today as the old cast iron tub the day after I did it and still with no stress cracks.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Big gap sealer. Home depot Spray foam. Practice first. Also saw this weekend foam to hold damaged fence posts in place. Check it out and reply.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I had to check out the link you provided. I was thinking it was more like "duct seal". The blocks you can get from HD. I have used that for horn deadening. It works well and is cheap.

The stuff you linked would probably work well also.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I had to check out the link you provided. I was thinking it was more like "duct seal". The blocks you can get from HD. I have used that for horn deadening. It works well and is cheap.

The stuff you linked would probably work well also.
    Bought 10 blocks of duct seal to apply to my 2nd set of 511s, have not got around to it yet, but in the meantime set them down on the forward edge of the A7 cabs to discover the blocks are very effective at reducing cab vibrations and clearing up the sound. Effective upgrade for only a few bucks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

For metal horns, the foil back rubber tapes work well, creating a constrained layer damping [CLD].

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I first got my A7s used some Dynamat on the horns only to discover that it was not very effective, and expensive to boot! Modeling clay is cheap and very effective, $2 a block at the art school supply store.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I would be incredibly suspicious of anyone that told me roofing tar and felt was "state of the art"

Flex seal is certainly going to add some damping. But for it to be really effective it would have to be pretty thick.

The best combination for woofer flares I have seen is bracing and damping, I have seen sand/epoxy mixtures that worked well.

In the 70's my shop was next to some folks that did "cultured marble", basically a resin concrete composed of marble dust and epoxy. We did a couple sets of horn flares of that stuff, they worked well but added around a hundred pounds to the cabinet. Seemed like a good idea when we were sitting around, let's say "brainstorming", but not practical whatsoever.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

What if you did alternating layers of seal and playsand? spray a base of seal, liberally dust with sand, let setup then spray, dust, set. repeat as necessary. It may work or be a big mess.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I would be incredibly suspicious of anyone that told me roofing tar and felt was "state of the art"

Flex seal is certainly going to add some damping. But for it to be really effective it would have to be pretty thick.

The best combination for woofer flares I have seen is bracing and damping, I have seen sand/epoxy mixtures that worked well.

In the 70's my shop was next to some folks that did "cultured marble", basically a resin concrete composed of marble dust and epoxy. We did a couple sets of horn flares of that stuff, they worked well but added around a hundred pounds to the cabinet. Seemed like a good idea when we were sitting around, let's say "brainstorming", but not practical whatsoever.

I am using a totally stock 825 box, and 100 pounds added was JUST the start for me. I use about 300 pounds of concrete stepping stones on top of my A7-800 825 enclosure and about 60+ pounds on my Emilar EH500 Horn clones ( Showco 9000 ) and about 48 pounds, by ear, was needed on my DIY 12 dB 800 hZ crossover. Over 400 pounds in all. I plan to damp the woofer's curved sides, in the upcoming months. Maybe add a brace ala Bowtie's suggestion. Am open to any and all !! I have recently blocked the bass reflex port, down to maybe 80 inches.

Fun stuff.

LOW OHms....Jeff Medwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast