Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use....

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    dang look at the prices. I believe I could have paid less for a real GTO in the 70s
    " GTO"....... stands for : " extra money for Gas, Tires and Oil." ( My Dad's saying ).

Fifty to eighty dollars, industrially priced at retail, a POP, is well worth it, for what it does, that NO OTHER caps we have had, can do for the music !! This IS the future before our noses, from all I have heard of it.

BUT, the eBay seller has them offered now in a 50 piece lot of 5.0 uFs, for what ...$205 dollars, plus shipping, less than ten cents on the dollar.

Low Ohms.....Jeff Medwin

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    " GTO"....... stands for : " extra money for Gas, Tires and Oil." ( My Dad's saying ).

Fifty to eighty dollars, industrially priced at retail, a POP, is well worth it, for what it does, that NO OTHER caps we have had, can do for the music !! This IS the future before our noses, from all I have heard of it.

BUT, the eBay seller has them offered now in a 50 piece lot of 5.0 uFs, for what ...$205 dollars, plus shipping, less than ten cents on the dollar.

Low Ohms.....Jeff Medwin
    I can't find what you are referring to...What is the name of the seller?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    Go to eBay.com and search for "GTO MKP Capacitor" or "RIFA PHG491".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boli46 View Post
    Go to eBay.com and search for "GTO MKP Capacitor" or "RIFA PHG491".
    I have a friend, who in 2016 has compared the 10 uF RIFA to the 5 uF ARCOTRONICS 1200 VDC part we were using, and he prefers the latter 5 uF part.

I have not A-Bed them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post

Here you are :

5uF 1200V MKP Filter Caps GTO LOW ESR HQ arcotronics 1pc | eBay

As I previously reported, 1 to up to 5 or, 1 to up to 13 pieces, can come to the USA for a FLAT shipping cost.

Get a few extra, because eventually they have to be bought retail, as in WIMA GTOs from Mouser, and they are $50 to $80 each. When you use them as a bypass C in one spot, you will ( hopefully ) THINK to use them in another appropriate circuit location ( amps and crossovers !! ).

I like to have them all through the chain, after my 5U4GB rectifier tube, across C1 and C2 feeding the 2A3 Finals. And, two in each DIY 12 dB two way VOTT crossover, a 5 uF bypass cap, as part of the total "C" or uFs, in any critical position. I have done this, with fabulous result, since 4-2016, in my two-stage DC amps and in my 12dB VOTT A7-800 crossovers.

1,500 A. peak-instantaneous-capable in a "C" location, ( which we NEVER have had before in audio ) GETS the LEADING EDGE, of all music transients !!

Have fun. Tauratronics, the gentlemen eBay seller is named John Joosse, Netherlands...is a very good guy !! I THINK these ARCOTRONICS 5's, and other types, came into his hands as a result of KEMET buying that company...a guess.

Jeff Medwin .... Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 17th, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=GM;1973607]Which were?

GM

GE and several other American brands bought surplus. The PIO replaced Solens which I found to have a grainy texture to the sound, if that makes any sense.
    Cheers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=LowOhms;1973704]I have a friend, who in 2016 has compared the 10 uF RIFA to the 5 uF ARCOTRONICS 1200 VDC part we were using, and he prefers the latter 5 uF part.

I have not A-Bed them.

- - - Updated - - -

So your friend compared a 10 uF cap to a 5 uF cap. How did he do that?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Boli46;1973710]
    I have a friend, who in 2016 has compared the 10 uF RIFA to the 5 uF ARCOTRONICS 1200 VDC part we were using, and he prefers the latter 5 uF part.

I have not A-Bed them.

- - - Updated - - -

So your friend compared a 10 uF cap to a 5 uF cap. How did he do that?
    I do not know for sure. It was in his own design of a SE amp.

I am JUST GUESSING .... likely as a power supply bypass, one of a number of multiple caps, each successively smaller in uFs. The 10 uF or the 5 uF would likely be the " second " cap in the bundle, after a higher uF WIMA DC LINK main cap, and there may be four to seven smaller caps in parallel, for higher frequencies, as part of the bundle.

But do not take his word on this, and I am only guessing how he did testing. If you have the time, A-B them for yourselves and decide what YOU like the best. Use your system.

Regards,

Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 17th, 2017 at 02:24 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=LowOhms;1973717]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boli46 View Post

I do not know for sure. It was in his own design of a SE amp.

I am JUST GUESSING .... likely as a power supply bypass, one of a number of multiple caps, each successively smaller in uFs. The 10 uF or the 5 uF would likely be the " second " cap in the bundle, after a higher uF WIMA DC LINK main cap, and there may be four to seven smaller caps in parallel, for higher frequencies, as part of the bundle.

This is the only way one can get wide bandwidth response out of a SE amp circuit, and full musical expression,.... multiple film cap bypassing.

But do not take his word on this, and I am only guessing how he did testing. If you have the time, A-B them for yourselves and decide what YOU like the best. Use your system.

Regards,

Jeff Medwin

So you're just guessing. Right. Perhaps you should wait until you are better informed before you spread your "wisdom" on this forum. Anyway, a comparison between a 10 uF cap and a 5 uF cap doesn't seem very useful to me.
    I have ordered a fair number of the 5 uF Arcotronics and a few 2 uF Rifa PHG491 caps, but I will certainly not waste my time comparing them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    GE and several other American brands bought surplus. The PIO replaced Solens which I found to have a grainy texture to the sound, if that makes any sense.
    Cheers
    OK, thanks! IME none are the requisite test instrument quality. I'm guessing this is what we called 'static', i.e. a deep background of white noise down around -40 dB where our hearing acuity has dropped to barely perceived and one reason what the mineral oil is for.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Low Ohms.....Jeff Medwin
    Be very careful, fakes are rampant in China. No I don't believe an eBay seller has more buying power than a major electronics vendor. Nothing legit has a 1000 percent markup these days.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.