Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use.

WOW! And I thought my 10,055 on DIYaudio was insane........

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I think different speakers change the sound more than anything.

For me, things such as different caps and speaker wire, only create very small changes. Some that I cannot easily perceive.

Right, the speaker is by far the weakest link in an audio signal chain and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, so coupling it to electronics with the least signal degradation will tell which speakers least alter it is the true audiophile's goal, but the reality is that precious few recordings capture enough of the live event to start with, then factor in that it's normally compressed, EQ'd and the 'room' acoustics will normally be orders of magnitude different and one is left with just trying to make it sound acceptable in one's own app assuming only one person will need to be satisfied, otherwise it gets 'watered down' even more.

Yes, we have to go to extremes to get a significant difference, but then usually cause other unintended consequences, so like most things it's all about the individual's acceptable trade-offs.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member
    OT, ....New Capaciitor Type.............. for AUDIO Use....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post

Right, the speaker is by far the weakest link in an audio signal chain and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, so coupling it to electronics with the least signal degradation will tell which speakers least alter it is the true audiophile's goal, but the reality is that precious few recordings capture enough of the live event to start with, then factor in that it's normally compressed, EQ'd and the 'room' acoustics will normally be orders of magnitude different and one is left with just trying to make it sound acceptable in one's own app assuming only one person will need to be satisfied, otherwise it gets 'watered down' even more.

Yes, we have to go to extremes to get a significant difference, but then usually cause other unintended consequences, so like most things it's all about the individual's acceptable trade-offs.

GM
    Well said, And I have no issue with anyone doing whatever they need to do to their own system. But when someone turns it into a religion and pushes others to duplicate his efforts, then he is way out of line. Even if his results are valid, which is always in doubt, someone else is not going to get the same results with different source material, a different amp, different speakers, and a different room.

Any post I make will say "this worked for me in that situation". They won't say this absolutely works all the time...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It wouldn't matter if these " GTO" caps were called " banana peel " caps, .....and to theorize about them, is totally useless.

The purpose of this thread was to DISCLOSE them to the audio public, so that others, who may have their own interests in audio, would know about them.

By being aware of them, people are free to explore and experience them directly if they so elect to do, as me and some of my friends have already done.

I would like to know people's reactions, AFTER they have heard these in their systems, ie, their direct listening experiences. I predict, devices of this nature will be adapted by audio designers in the years to come, by the high- end, highest-quality type designers.

In the meantime, if you want to hear the leading-edge, of musical transients NOW, these devices, well implemented, are the only ones capable, AT THIS TIME, of giving us that type listening experience.

Its particularly applicable to a loudspeaker crossover, but I find its almost magical when also applied to the B+ filter, feeding my amplifier's Finals stage, as a 5 uF bypass capacitor. Isn't that neat !!! Naturally, as OG would have me say, YMMV, but lets not obscure the use of a new and highly-capable electronic part !!!!!

Of course, if one has NO direct experience in listening, they are likely to post "anything" up here, ( and they have ) even if their intentions are good !! Until one hears this, they are only GUESSING.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Have fun, I do.

Low Ohms.....Jeff Medwin

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

It is important to call things what they really are, sorry. And the more knowledge you have of a component, the better you can apply it.

We would have a heck of a time grocery shopping, for instance, if everybody called apples whatever they wanted.

The guys who built those capacitors you rave about had to use common agreed upon terms to build them. So again, call things what they are, and if you want to post about something, it never hurts to do a little research first.

I think it was Clarke or Asimov who said any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. To make magic you have to understand the technology.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    It is important to call things what they really are, sorry. And the more knowledge you have of a component, the better you can apply it.

We would have a heck of a time grocery shopping, for instance, if everybody called apples whatever they wanted.

The guys who built those capacitors you rave about had to use common agreed upon terms to build them. So again, call things what they are, and if you want to post about something, it never hurts to do a little research first.

I think it was Clarke or Asimov who said any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. To make magic you have to understand the technology.
    - - - - - - - - -

Yet another useless post. Obscuring the fact.

Gee, WIMA calls the capacitors " GTO" on their Web Site and in all their literature. I can call them that also.

Maybe you should correct WIMA, if you have nothing else to do.

Jeff Medwin.....Low Ohms,
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 22nd, 2017 at 02:54 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    - - - - - - - - -

Yet another useless post. Obscuring the fact.

Gee, WIMA calls the capacitors " GTO" on their Web Site and in all their literature. I can call them that also.

Maybe you should correct WIMA, if you have nothing else to do.

Jeff Medwin.....Low Ohms,
    Your post is laughable. You called them gate turn off capacitors. WIMA absolutely does not. I posted WIMA's explanation of why they are called GTO. It appears you were too lazy to read.
    At no point did I say they were not GTO's and as I said even posted the explanation.

The useless posts here are yours. Your post was totally unfactual, misnaming the caps and claiming them to be a new type, none of which is true. It takes a lot of wind out of your PT Barnum post when your errors are pointed out. That's what you are really upset about.
    I'm willing to concede their ability to handle spikes may relate to transients, the operative word may.

But a large portion of what you posted was just made up info. And again, willing to concede you didn't make it up. You probably heard it and reposted without checking.

But understand, if you post incorrect info, somebody here will correct it.

You claim is doesn't matter what something is called- does that extend to eBay sellers claiming Altec and JBL were once the same company?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OG:

You are pretty darn good as a Forum BULLY.

Even though, most of what you claim and suggest, is off-base, incorrect, as far as I can tell !!

I don't know how you get away with it !!

I give specific explanations, of my actual initial use and workings with these GTO caps, over the past 15 months, and you say I am making it all up !!

My goodness !! Time will tell the tale on this. We are done, head-to-head posting...I should have known better - have a BALL.

Low Ohms .... Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 22nd, 2017 at 05:16 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    OG:

You are pretty darn good as a Forum BULLY.

Even though, most of what you claim and suggest, is off-base, incorrect, as far as I can tell !!

I don't know how you get away with it !!

I give specific explanations, of my actual initial use and workings with these GTO caps, over the past 15 months, and you say I am making it all up !!

My goodness !!

Low Ohms .... Jeff Medwin
    Jeff I am tired of this- you must be really paranoid.

I said you repeated stuff others made up. I never said you made anything up. I do contend you don't get your facts straight, this is a perfect example

You haven't posted a single fact showing I am wrong.

You are calling my posts backed up by research and conversations with the manufacturer fake. Yet you don't bother to do such research.

You have not shown anywhere I am incorrect.

As I said, you turn any criticism into a personal attack. You posted incorrect information. I corrected you. Any thing else here is just you blustering. I will no longer respond to your bluster. You feel if you keep it up long enough everybody will think you are right. Doesn't work that way in a group of intelligent people.

You can't make your version correct by vehemently repeating it. If you want to spout more nonsense go ahead. I won't listen. I doubt anyone else here will either.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

This constant arguing and bickering between a couple individuals has got to STOP !!! We are not going to let a couple individuals ruin our forum for everyone else ! THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ! The conflict seems to be mostly between (LowOhms & Mah) and now is spreading to other members getting involved.If your post has nothing to do with audio or Altec it is going to be deleted.. Unfortunately the moderation feature we wanted to implement, especially by Todd, is broken.Steven,Todd and I have been trying to fix it with no luck so our only option at the moment is to delete posts altogether... And if we have to constantly delete posts we will be very unhappy and harsh...The end is here it either stops or folks will be given a vacation ! And if they continue after their vacation it will become permanent...Enough is enough !

You have been warned !