Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

tube tester, altec service?

he says it's from the altec service center. the only thing I can see that would tie it in, it the white paint splatter on the instructions. that you might see when they paint the screen.

Superior Instruments TV-11 Tube Tester - Property Of Altec Lansing Service Corp | eBay

it would be a great piece to have, and I'm real tempted.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: tube tester, altec service?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    he says it's from the altec service center. the only thing I can see that would tie it in, it the white paint splatter on the instructions. that you might see when they paint the screen.

Superior Instruments TV-11 Tube Tester - Property Of Altec Lansing Service Corp | eBay

Cool to see.

You have a whole week. Find out all you can on this piece, and who repairs them and who can calibrate them, and.... at what cost . Have fun investigating.

Low Ohms......Jeff Medwin

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Looks like a basic emissions tester. Should be easy to calibrate at home. My Eico 667 came with instructions on how to calibrate yourself. It was easy and just used a multimeter.

It is a cool Altec piece. Think that's what the Altec repair guys carried around with them?

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I didn't see where it said that it was Altecs property at one time. Anyway, do your research, that's something I would pay maybe 40 bucks for at a flea market. If your really looking to test tubes, there are much better. Some of the Hickocks are top notch but pricey. Even than, after it passes all the testing the final test is.....your amp. Yup, most tube testers don't check tubes under actual operating voltages but your amp does.

BillWojo

I just notified the seller that the broken off wire on the left side of the meter is a danger, it's the wire for the top cap on tubes that use it.
    Last edited by BillWojo; July 22nd, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Few people discuss this, but when you test a tube in a tube tester, it STRESSES the tube, and it does not sound as good, after testing, as it was prior, when it was NOS and used in the amplifier. I have been told, some " come back " after a while after testing, and some do not.

When I buy tubes offa eBay, I try to find NOS but UNTESTED tubes for my personal use. YMMV.

Lately, I have been selling my tube stocks, as I am getting older, and want to cash-out types I will never use ( ALL my Type 45s, 6B4Gs, 2A3 Bi Plates are gone , all my 6CG7s - are going next week). I typically had 50 to 85 of each type stashed.

Now own a dozen NOS JJ 2A3-40s, so I am set for two lives at the 12 Watt plate dissipation I like to use.

Cheers,

Jeff Medwin.....Low Ohms.
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 23rd, 2017 at 12:17 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Jeff, I can't respond lest I be accused of 'bickering'.
    Last edited by mah; July 23rd, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post

Phi I'll be glad to offer my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I sincerely doubt it's from Altec's service center. I suspect it's from a local dealer who sold Altecs among other things.

That said, it's a cool old item, but if you want a tube tester you can likely do better for the money. If you want that piece, be prepared to spend more to get it into first class condition.

Were I buying something that old would want to examine it in person to make sure all the switches work. You can clean them, but I doubt you will find replacements.

Tube testers aren't terribly complicated devices. But to give you an idea where I'm coming from Ive seen repaired and calibrated testers for not much more than that price.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

"Few people discuss this, but when you test a tube in a tube tester, it STRESSES the tube, and it does not sound as good, after testing, as it was prior, when it was NOS and used in the amplifier. I have been told, some " come back " after a while after testing, and some do not."

Jeff, please provide the data for this. What model tube tester on what tubes? This could be checked very easily, was the tube subjected to very high voltages /current that is outside of it's operating range? The problem with almost every tester out there is that they don't test in real world conditions. The applied voltages are usually WAY below the typical operating point of the tube.

For you to make a bold statement that tube testers damage tubes doesn't surprise me or anyone else here by now. You will not back up your claim with factual data as usual. Only you or Mr Faker know for sure because you say you can hear the difference.

It's sad to see the quality standards of the AUB being pushed so low with all the nonsense that has been posted by one member here in the last few months. It reminds me of some of the cable forums. Very sad.

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    "Few people discuss this, but when you test a tube in a tube tester, it STRESSES the tube, and it does not sound as good, after testing, as it was prior, when it was NOS and used in the amplifier. I have been told, some " come back " after a while after testing, and some do not."
    Jeff, please provide the data for this. What model tube tester on what tubes? This could be checked very easily, was the tube subjected to very high voltages /current that is outside of it's operating range? The problem with almost every tester out there is that they don't test in real world conditions. The applied voltages are usually WAY below the typical operating point of the tube.

For you to make a bold statement that tube testers damage tubes doesn't surprise me or anyone else here by now. You will not back up your claim with factual data as usual. Only you or Mr Faker know for sure because you say you can hear the difference.

It's sad to see the quality standards of the AUB being pushed so low with all the nonsense that has been posted by one member here in the last few months. It reminds me of some of the cable forums. Very sad.

BillWojo
    Jeff DO NOT REPLY to this post. You guys are not going to turn this thread into a tit for tat fest. this is about tube testers.
    Anyone who comes to the board often, knows who's who.
    For someone to come here read one or two posts and form an opinion would very shallow. The rest of us can tell the difference between opinion and science.

If you have an axe to grind, find another stone.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really serious about buying that. I really don't have much use for one. it is a nice piece of antique testing equipment. great for a shelf ornament. TBT I don't have 170$ to spend for something like that.

as far as testers harming audio tubes. I don't see how. If the tester is using the correct voltage and loads as the amp you're using, there should be no problem. plus knowing the health of the tubes would be critical to balancing your set. The only problems I can see would be using the condition /rejuvenate function or
    taking your tubes to the Walgreens in the 70s and using their tester after some jackasses have been trying to jam tubes into the wrong sockets
    Last edited by Phil-G; July 23rd, 2017 at 12:28 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Jeff I have to go on record as saying your post is 100% wrong. Having tested thousands of tubes in hundreds of testers without damaging a single one, I know better. Testers do not stress tubes to their maximum rating. If anything the opposite is true-I've seen testers pass tubes that I reject with a listening test.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast