Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: tube tester, altec service?

OK, let me reiterate. My feeling, to answer Mr. Bill Wojo et all, is ALL tube testers stress the tubes in their testing.

If, someone has a really good system, they can take a NOS tube, say a high mu tube ( mu of 100, eg 12AX7 ) used at the input of a two stage amp ( in my case ) , or input of a two stage phono preamp.......and listen to the tube without testing, and after testing, and, IF ( a big word) the system is transparent and resolving, you will hear a degrade.

Its really that simple. The question, and only reservation I have is : is your system transparent and resolving ????

I am sure, if some will test this on a reference-quality system, they will hear it. We all hear it about the same, IF the system is decent.

Cheers, have fun.

Jeff Medwin......Low Ohms.

Senior Hostboard Member
    tube tester, altec service?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

jeff your going up against people who has done this professionally. I will take their word over yours. when you can tell us BRIEFLY how the plates and anodes are degraded by a tester have at it. till then, stick to your firsthand personal experience.
    my personal experience is tubes as a whole are extremely rugged devices. excepting; dropping them, smacking them, or shooting them at trees with a wristrocket . they are also the only electronic devices that can stand up to nuclear warfare
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One other comment.

In a Push-Pull tube amp, I can see a valid need to match and tube-test active devices.

But with ALTEC speakers, horn loaded, I personally ( in my opinion ) see absolutely no VALID need to use a Push-Pull tube amp, with the added complexity and losses involved with splitting the phase in half, and then re-combining it.

The fact is, with well-wired speakers and well-designed amps, a 3 Watt Single Ended DC amp will do as well, or better, than anything on a VOTT, in my experience.

So, let us say I want to " match" two mono DC 2A3 amps, as part of a stereo system, and NOT stress the NOS Finals tubes on a tube tester.

In the SINGLE ENDED world, one just individually places NOS 2A3s ( DHT outputs ) up to one's ear, and " Flicks" the tube with the middle finger of your other hand, and LISTENs to the sound of the tube's elements.

Match the Finals tubes that way, and the quietest sounding, tightest-constructed tube will ALWAYS sound the best on music playback. Use the tubes with the least rattles, the quietest to a flick test.

Second to that, pair-up the remaining Finals tubes, so their sonic RINGING spectrum sounds similar to you in pitch and in their duration.

Now you know how to select Finals tubes for SE amps. No electronic equipment needed at all, only our own GOD - given equipment gets employed.....intelligently. THAT is precisely what I do. It works !!

All this, ( above ) might be interesting ( and hopefully to me, beneficial ) for some of you, who also run SE amps on ALTEC speakers, to execute.

Have fun, I do !!

Jeff Medwin...... Low Ohms.

PS,

I have sold-off all my working tube testers, about four. I DO have access to a fellow Office Worker's calibrated HICKOK TV-7 tester, and I use it a LOT to sell off my no-longer needed / no longer wanted tubes on eBay.

I actually prominently feature " TV-7 Tested " ..... on every eBay advertisement, as an means of selling the tubes easier, to the public. Every sale is actually hilarious to me. LOL. Have fun.
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 23rd, 2017 at 02:01 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    One other comment.

In a Push-Pull tube amp, I can see a valid need blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl ahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah All this, ( above ) might be interesting ( and hopefully to me, beneficial ) for some of you, who also run SE amps on ALTEC speakers, to execute.

Have fun, I do !!

Jeff Medwin...... Low Ohms.
    jeff stop clogging this thread with longwinded spam. this has nothing to do with the topic. delete your post.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Jeff it's really that simple- tube testers do not damage tubes. Repeat till blue in the face- people with may more experience than you are calling you wrong.

I have to point out it is getting old you claiming you can hear stuff on your system we can't hear on ours. You claim you don't want to be offensive but that sir, is very offensive.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Jeff it's really that simple- tube testers do not damage tubes. Repeat till blue in the face- people with may more experience than you are calling you wrong.

I have to point out it is getting old you claiming you can hear stuff on your system we can't hear on ours. You claim you don't want to be offensive but that sir, is very offensive.

The main difference between you and I is, I have CAREFULLY listened to this type of ALTEC system I am discussing, for about a decade, and you have never done it at all, not once.

I would humbly suggest, if you have an interest in audio, that you travel to either Montana, or Denver, and give a LISTEN for yourself. You be the judge, not from what you have NOT experienced, but from what you have experienced !!

I just speak the truth, as " I " hear it , and as I understand it. If I feel there is a better way of doing things, I am going to express it, to help others who would be OPEN to discover it on their own.

If you listened, subjectively, and honestly, you may be thanking me for informing you. We all, pretty much, hear the same.

Jeff Medwin .... Low Ohms.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Jeff I have listened to many systems, likely more than you. So much for you not being offensive.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

The very first thing you do with a tube tester is to check for short circuits in the tube. Even if you do no further testing, always check for shorts! A shorted tube can cause expensive damage in any tube based gear. To many supposedly NOS tubes are junk pulls that were cleaned and put back in a box.

Jeff, all anyone here is trying to do is to educate you. You resist any and all attempts to show you with reasonable logic, backed by decades of science to see beyond your meager understanding of electronics. Now sit down, shut up and start opening your mind. You will learn far more from the vast knowledge that has been presented to you on this board than the crackpots that you have been listening to on other boards.
    Your constant, never ending preaching has gotten very tiring and has caused you to be thrown off of two other forums.
    Enough is enough!

BillWojo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    jeff stop clogging this thread with longwinded spam. this has nothing to do with the topic. delete your post.

My Post #13 above is specifically and precisely about tubes and their testing.

Jeff

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    My Post #13 above is specifically and precisely about tubes and their testing.

Jeff
    this is/was a discussion tube testers not a rambling discussion of tubes in general.
    in the words of Ron White "you have the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

on that note I would like to ask Todd to simply delete this thread.
    Last edited by Phil-G; July 23rd, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast