Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: tube tester, altec service?

Knowledgeable Members have posted considered informative practical content in this thread. Deletion of the thread seems to be overkill. There must be other options.
    Last edited by mah; July 23rd, 2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    this is/was a discussion tube testers not a rambling discussion of tubes in general.
    in the words of Ron White "you have the right to remain silent, but not the ability"

on that note I would like to ask Todd to simply delete this thread.
    Relax some. I didn't ramble.

I got to tell you all new and valuable information, about NOS high mu tubes not sounding " as good " after any electronic tube test.

One can easily test any and all of this on any decent system, and hear the slight sonic degrades I warned of.

'Don't have to take anyone's word on it - at all. Simply try it for yourself, on a optimized audio system.

I also went-on to share with you how to nicely test NOS Finals tubes, without an electronic tube tester, by ear. Showed how to match two Finals tubes for use in SE amps, what precisely to listen for.

Best wishes,

Jeff Medwin

Senior Hostboard Member
    tube tester, altec service?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Relax some. I didn't ramble.

I got to tell you all new and valuable information, about NOS high mu tubes not sounding " as good " after any electronic tube test.

One can easily test any and all of this on any decent system, and hear the slight sonic degrades I warned of.

'Don't have to take anyone's word on it - at all. Simply try it for yourself, on a optimized audio system.

I also went-on to share with you how to nicely test NOS Finals tubes, without an electronic tube tester, by ear. Showed how to match two Finals tubes for use in SE amps, what precisely to listen for.

Best wishes,

Jeff Medwin
    Nope= you got to spew worthless information and continue with your pattern of insults.

BTW now you have changed it to high mu tubes, when your original was a general post that tubes are damaged by a tube tester.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Old Guy;1973917]Nope= you got to spew worthless information and continue with your pattern of insults.

When is this going to stop? Jeff your constant insults are getting tiring. You keep saying that nobody can hear what you can because our equipment is crap.
    Than you come up with some of the most bizarre statements.
    Do you yourself really believe this nonsense? I'm starting to think your a troll and just trying to start trouble on this board. I have observed the exact same pattern by your mentor on another board. When confronted with facts, he acts just like you.
    Your credibility is at an all time low, into the negative numbers at this point.

BillWojo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Nope= you got to spew worthless information and continue with your pattern of insults.

BTW now you have changed it to high mu tubes, when your original was a general post that tubes are damaged by a tube tester.
    "Spew worthless" ONLY if you ARE an Old Guy, who is unteachable, with primarily - a narrow and CLOSED mind !!

Yes, the effects of the tube tester's test, STRESSING the tube, on a SENSITIVE high-mu tube, may likely be easier for some people to hear on a middle-of-the-road hi fi system. eg : a 12AX7 input tube in a two stage phono or SE amplifier circuit.

Don't complain, just test it with NOS tubes on a good system.

You need to do MUCH better in your word choices when posting.

Jeff Medwin........Low Ohms

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=BillWojo;1973924]

When is this going to stop? Jeff your constant insults are getting tiring. You keep saying that nobody can hear what you can because our equipment is crap.
    Than you come up with some of the most bizarre statements.
    Do you yourself really believe this nonsense? I'm starting to think your a troll and just trying to start trouble on this board. I have observed the exact same pattern by your mentor on another board. When confronted with facts, he acts just like you.
    Your credibility is at an all time low, into the negative numbers at this point.

BillWojo
    Hey Bill,

I have not been insulting you of late, in any fashion.

I did clearly point out, maybe a month or two ago, a five stage, three cap couple ( McIntosh ) audio circuit will be easily beaten by a good two stage SET circuit, with one , or preferably ( to me and my ears ) with NO coupling caps in the path at all.

Is THAT an insult because you OWN McIntosh, and thought they were great " because real engineers designed it and they knew what they were doing ".?

About two weeks ago, you installed a cheapo Chinese two stage SE 2A3 amp in your system, and told people on another Forum how much you liked it. Here is what you reported :

Audio Asylum Thread Printer

I recently TRIED to offer you a DIY schematic to build, on this Forum, of a good two stage amp, with NO cap couple what so ever. One person, who runs a 6SL7-2A3 SE amp posted. But you never responded. See what I wrote here,it is HARDLY insulting :

OT, Pinging Bill Wojo !!

I hate to have to remind you again, but my mentor, who you referred to above negatively, had the best sounding room at RMAF in 2016 according to the experienced reviewer from Stereophile. That is out of a couple hundred plus audio exhibits and audio manufacturers, who were doing their best and were demoing their gear.

The proof of the pudding is IN the eating.

Further more Bill, the Stereophile reviewer went on to say, my mentor " was one of the BEST guys he knows of in the audio business ", which he REALLY didn't have to go out of his way to mention / say at all.

It was ultra cool, at one point, Reichert, Fraker and myself ....only us three guys.....were in this Denver hotel room, listening contentedly to really neat music selections through these lovely GPA 604 MLTLs .

I'd simply say, you and Old Guy need to attend 2017 RMAF in early October and broaden your experience base and minds a bit !! You know-not of what I discuss, because you have not experienced it, and your minds are closed.

Thats insulting??? I call it THE TRUTH !!!!! ......LOOK, Look !! The Emperor has NO clothes .

Best wishes to you always,

Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 24th, 2017 at 11:46 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Since Jeff is not here to add anything constructive to the conversation and is only here seeking attention, I would suggest ignoring him completely.
    Don't use his name,
    don't reply to his posts,
    do not feed his ego.
    This is the only way we can bring sanity back to the forum. As moderation is conspicuously absent.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Stereophile has an agenda-selling high end audio. It makes most of its income from ads. Only a fool would trust a review from a source like that.

Yes it has subscriptions but those barely cover postage. The real profit is in getting the circulation up to charge more for ads.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stereophile has an agenda-selling high end audio. It makes most of its income from ads. Only a fool would trust a review from a source like that.

Yes it has subscriptions but those barely cover postage. The real profit is in getting the circulation up to charge more for ads.

LOL. to use your ugly, demeaning, ill-advised word choice, WHO IS the " fool " herein ???.

The small Manufacturer which Stereophile reviewed ( Serious Stereo ) as Best Room at the Show - 2016, has never run ONE advertisement in Stereophile.

Money had ZERO to do with the review, but QUALITY of the equipment, the set up, and associated people - prevailed ..... above all !!

NONE of the tubes used in the demo room, were ever put into any tube tester, in fact, the Manufacturer tells me he sold ALL of his many testers. Finals tubes were carefully selected as graciously shared in this thread, new information, to many readers.

Cheers to all,

Jeff Medwin .... Low Ohms
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 24th, 2017 at 02:09 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Magazines regularly post creampuff reviews in the hope of getting an ad down the road. Done all the time.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

According to Mr Faker on a post he made over on Audio Asylum, he got rid of his test gear, all of his o-scopes and such. Now he tunes by ear!
    Not once in my life have I heard of any audio engineer not doing comprehensive testing on amps. Many times there are parasitic oscillations way out of the hearing range and they must be brought under control. How do you test for distortions? This is not something that is done by "ear".
    If his amps are any good at all, than I would have to surmise that he is pulling everyone's leg with his BS. Many of his post wind up like yours do here Jeff, with people presenting facts to him and he just ignores them.
    I'm beginning to think more and more that you are just a troll.

BillWojo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast