View Poll Results: Should The Altec User Board Be Folded Into The GPA Website?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

23 69.70%
  • NO

9 27.27%
  • Don't Care

1 3.03%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Poll: Move This Forum To The Great Plains Audio Site Or Not?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Poll: Move This Forum To The Great Plains Audio Site Or

Todd,

I see things very differently. Please allow me to explain why. I used to be a "JBL guy", a part of the "JBL family". Like many of you did with Altec, I got to witness corporate bureaucrats dismantle the real JBL, fire the engineering staff, and move operations out of the USA. The bureaucrats acted with a scotched earth policy. No support of any kind for vintage components, and only what federal law requires for new ones. You, however, have a part of the old Altec Lansing company: Great Plains Audio. They can provide parts and service for your beloved speaker systems. All of this rests in the hands of one person, who, for long time has needed the help of his "Altec family".

As for me, I don't care what color is used on the website, or what fonts are on the header, or how many categories are in the forums, or whether we refer to it as a family or community, because I know one thing with great certainty: If GPA doesn't survive, this forum will become a memorial to what was, and not what could have been. Parts will become scarce, prices for them will sky-rocket. I've watched this happen before, and I'm trying to stop it from happening again.

So while you debate the merits of colors, fonts, categories, and descriptors, I'll be working with Bill to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to the Altec family/community that happened to the JBL family/community.

If you haven't already, please take the time to like the new official Great Plains Audio Facebook page. Every like counts!

Thank you and goodnight.

Senior Hostboard Member DaveCan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Life can definitely throw some serious curve-balls at times, sorry for your loses Todd.

I think whatever is decided by those that run a site and offer it for free to boot, should be appreciated and welcomed by all. Thanks for the site and all the info and offering of the forums, so that anyone even like me can learn and have a place to gain an education from those way more knowledgeable in all things audio than I could ever be.

I often wondered about when those at GPA decide to retire, thinking by the time I'm able to get something perhaps they could be no more. Is there anyone that Bill could train to pass the torch to one day? Dang why could I not have been the nephew or son of some of these guys lol. That would be a cool job and business to have compared to what I've done most of my life. Anyhow here's hoping GPA stays for many years yet to come in the audio industry, and with much success to all those involved.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Somehow my reply last night didn't post....

Todd, in regards to seeing everything in one place, a lot of forums have a button that will show you recent or new posts. That's likely what I would use....... I use it on a computer forum that's relatively small.

The color reminds me of a 60's GM truck!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Last edited by mah; August 2nd, 2017 at 01:41 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Poll Closed. Decision Made.

Dear Altec Friends,

The Poll as to whether or not to move our Altec User's Board is now closed. Thanks to all who participated, and, of course, to those who just read what was going on.

After much deliberation, some of which I have posted here, I have decided that we will stay where we're at.

This thread is now closed. A formal announcement of this on the main page of our forum is almost ready to be posted. Please place your comments about this subject, if any, there.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

HB Super Moderator
    Poll: Move This Forum To The Great Plains Audio Site Or Not?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Sorry Todd ! I just saw this thread and had to vote ! So I opened the thread for a moment so I could post.We stay ! I have been talking to Steven quite a bit lately about the board he has a new software engineer onboard who has been fixing quite a few issues here and has been working hard to make Hostboard a fun place.. We complain about this that and the other thing here and this poor guy has been paying for everything out of pocket.. He showed me his Paypal account and he hasn't had a donation in like 6 months ! When I ask Steven to help fix something he usually gets on it right away ! I say we stay with hostboard as well !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345