Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whats Optimum when replacing 802D diaphragms with GPAs?????

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Whats Optimum when replacing 802D diaphragms with GPAs??

Thanks to everyone who commented and tried to assist , many thanks.

I have decided what to do.

I will send both 802 bodies back to GPA and put in a special request for Bill H. to recharge the magnets equally as possible, and find two diaphragms ( 16 Ohms is OK , light / critical listening ones ) that LOOK to him as exact-to-each other as possible.

Main goal, one driver to be just like the other !!

I have changed my mind, and henceforth, I will NOT ever solder the Mil Spec tweeter wire ( from my crossover - 18 AWG m22759/11 ) DIRECTLY to the diaphragms, but instead use ONE GPA clip-on terminal at that juncture.

I will NOT, however, use the stock ALTEC " press to fit " connectors on the rear covers of my 802Ds. Instead, employ a single 57 1/8th inch length ( Bob Fulton audio length ) of wire, from the terminals of the GPA-installed diaphragms, straight back to my DIY Crossover.

This totally eliminates a connection, at the back cover, and will please me as a reasonable compromise.

I had an opportunity to hear my friend Greg B's newly built Type 46 DC amp on my system, this week, and it just blew me away, despite the tweeter inbalance. To "my" ear, unequaled dynamics and transparency up- the-whazoo, and NO negative feedback loop to spoil the timing.

LOL, Greg's amp employs two chokes in series, and their TOTAL DCR is only 12 Ohms,.... six Ohms each !! Love it. ' Was FUN to hear.

In my opinion, AMPS ( and to a certain degree, wiring ) are the problems we all face with our ALTEC speakers, its NOT the ALTEC VOTT speaker at all. WHAT a difference a state-of-the-art amp, and good wiring makes....and it will be 4 Watts or less fellas, properly designed and constructed !! Have fun, I do !!

If you can't figure it out, a big Solid State amp can't ever get into an operating point, where it is swinging lotsa voltage, LINEARLY, when it tries to operate ALTEC speakers .........that usually are playing at 1/10th to 1/4 of a Watt average IF the amp through to the drivers are simply - well wired.

So, my friend Greg's new 1.3 Watt Type 46 SET DC amp will KILL any solid state amp typically used, sound FAR more DYNAMIC, powerful, because its operating in its linear region, and its well put together also. A JJ 2A3-40 will do it best IMHO.

Of course, ALL I write is JUST my opinion and my direct experience.

Low Ohms......Jeff Medwin

Thanks.
    Last edited by LowOhms; August 13th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345