Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Re: OT: one heckuva ride

Its crazy they had those special "hot rod" start carts. Seems like a regular jet huffer would do the job. Maybe they just wanted something as special as the plane. Badass either way

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Its crazy they had those special "hot rod" start carts. Seems like a regular jet huffer would do the job. Maybe they just wanted something as special as the plane. Badass either way
    As i understand it, the clearances between the stator and turbine stages are wider than those of a typical turbojet engine to allow them to operate as a "ram-jet" above a certain speed threshold, making them difficult to start. why they didn't use a gear type pneumatic starter is beyond me, but perhaps it had to do with weight savings, or the extreme operating conditions. Everything about them was so secret and compartmentalized, and a lot of the original engineers are long gone. With today's materials and tech, the same folks might have done it all very differently.

Add to that the sound of a throttling big displacement V-8 under a load, a serious morale booster for some fellas, certainly more musical than the ear destroying rush of a turbine.

Here's a cheesy animation of the J58:

Last edited by bowtie427ss; August 15th, 2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Makes sense. And hey, it just takes big block American muscle power to start American muscle jet power.

Did they ever officially say how fast the SR71 can go? The official word is something in the mach 3 range I believe. I have heard they really go as fast as mach 5 or more.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Since they admit to 85,000 and M3.5, it would seem reality is probably 120,000 to 150,000 and M5-M6.

Note the puddles under it in most pics.

Makes sense. And hey, it just takes big block American muscle power to start American muscle jet power.
    I'm far from an expert with this stuff, but i have been around a lot that most civi's will never see access to and as part of a couple of the jobs i've had i know some specs and how some hardware works in pretty good detail.

The air starter on a J79 or LM1500 blown by the A/M35 type hot air start cart can develop about 90HP at the drive gear. Depending on the method of power transmission, the Buick Wildcat or big block Chevy should produce several times that.
    Last edited by bowtie427ss; August 15th, 2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

OK let me get this straight, how big dose the horn hafta be and how many 515 do I need before the sound is actually felt before the sound is actually emitted ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12