Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: A7 plus Amp. Power/Headroom

Jeff, We know what you like(how could we not?) That is not an issue.
    Last edited by mah; August 19th, 2017 at 12:56 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 plus Amp. Power/Headroom

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Again, you are mostly looking to design a system that plays 0.01 percent of the recorded audio information, while neglecting the possibility of hearing the highest QUALITY reproduction, for all the rest of the audio reproduction, the remaining 99.99 percent of recorded material, which plays back in our homes 99.99 percent of the time. That makes absolutely very LITTLE sense to me.

There are HUGE differences in sonics, between amps, but to judge audio AMPS, and get a great one, TAKES a high quality ALTEC speaker ( or WW2 Klangfilm, or Ale drivers ) of 100 db plus efficiency, to hear and tell whats going on.

Some, over the years, (only a few ), have worked this amplifier requirement out beautifully, using ALTEC drivers, or JBL, and taken it to " as close as possible " to perfection. Perfection is an unobtainable goal.

I have been DIY building, usually from-scratch designing DHTs, ( directly heated triode amps ), since 1982, which was my first 2A3 amp build. No negative feedback loop, in ALL of these designs. What a PLEASURE it is to me, to hear an ALTEC VOTT or 604 speaker with an amp with ZERO negative feedback. You hear all the music in the time of the music, and NOT in the out-of-time overlay of a typical audio amp.

Everything is important if you want the system to fly, and I have found MANY things that will cause loss of " the musical experience", IF the detail is not thought of, or properly attended to..

AS I have often asserted, I find VERY few know how to get the amp as good as possible, for the optimal ALTEC listening experience. Its a lot of fun for me, thinking and working on this one aspect... the audio amplifier. Late 2017 will see me DIYing for myself, new 2A3 monoblocks for my VOTTS, with all I know and have learned to date, incorporated into it.

No one in this world has yet heard a directly coupled, two stage, SE 2A3 mono amp with two SIX ohm power supply chokes per channel. That's only twelve ohms ( total ) DC resistance in the B+ Supply. Additionally, employing new supply caps capable of doing 1.500 Amperes Peak Instantaneous. ( in-time Rim-shots anyone :-) ? And a system wired internally ...for efficient energy transfer, to support it linearly ??? Need a couple of months and I will get it built, 'waiting on my chassis welder presently.

The DC SE Type 46 stereo amp I designed and built May 2017 was for Greg B.'s Valencias. It really was a "warm up", for this upcoming mono 2A3 build - something for my own use, long-term.

To be continued... my friends.

Have FUN, I sure do.

Low Ohms,...... Jeff Medwin
    Sorry but you are full of crap. Nothing here but you again bragging about an inadequate amp.

You have such limited experience you think it is .01 % of recordings. That is just plain silly. It is 100% of what some listen to. You again show a complete lack of understanding anything outside your experience.

Get this obnoxious "our homes" out of your head. You ain't in my home. And have no understanding of my needs or anyone's but your own.

Blah blah since 1982 again. Say something new, but I doubt you are capable.

You completely ignore premium drivers outside your limited experience. There are many.

1.5 amps isn't much. I suspect you were trying to say 1500, the complete idiocy there is it doesn't matter what the caps can do- the caps are part of a system(power supply). If you think your power supply can PRODUCE 1500 amp peaks at tube plate voltages, seek professional help. As established, those caps aren't new, just you playing PT Barnum again.

No such thing as peak instantaneous BTW. There is a time factor to everything.

You are incapable of understanding those caps are rated to HANDLE peaks. Capacitors do not produce power the supply does.

Just more proof here, you know next to nothing, and make recommendations for others based solely on your own needs. Then you are in total denial when confronted with the fact that others needs do not match yours.

Your posts read like ads. A wonderful amp. I am doing you a favor. I am doing everyone here a favor. I am the best,only a few can do what I do.

And just like watching TV, they come repeated.

BTW I forgot to mention, if you add 6 dB of bass boost to your system, the figures I quoted go up 4 times...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

I'd rather my clean power than blown voice coils from an amp that clips.
    Please don't take this forum down that rabbit hole.

The shape of a waveform does not blow voice coils. Voice coils blow from too much power, period.

If you're using an amplifier with clipping characteristics that's destroying loudspeaker components, it's junk and shouldn't be connected to ANY audio system.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" Voice coils blow from too much power. Period "

Thank you, thank you.

IF I were buying used / Vintage ALTEC speakers, one of the key questions I would ask the Original Owner is, " what sort of amplifier was used by you, to power these drivers. ? "

A Marantz 8B or a Phase 400 ???

The truth, will set one free !!

Thanks for posting. Have a nice weekend.

Jeff Medwin

- - - Updated - - -

Old Guy,

With you having NEVER heard what I am discussing, might it OCCUR to you that YOU could be 100% incorrect???

The proof of the pudding.

Have a very nice weekend.

Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; August 19th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My experience with VC failure is mostly over powering, plus amp failures sending DC, generally from poorly designed amps, old amps that need servicing, or bad and/or experimental designs.

Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 plus Amp. Power/Headroom

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Old Guy,

With you having NEVER heard what I am discussing, might it OCCUR to you that YOU could be 100% incorrect???

The proof of the pudding.

Have a very nice weekend.

Jeff Medwin
    Simple difference between us. I check my facts, you post poorly written sales pitches devoid of facts.

I have owned triode amps. I sold them. They are inadequate for me.

The concept of your tastes being inadequate does not exist in your closed universe. I can concede you don't care for my tastes in equipment even though you say so having never heard it...

However I have heard what you advocate and found it inadequate. Since your experience is so limited, it is certain you are wrong. End of story.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Simple difference between us. I check my facts, you post poorly written sales pitches devoid of facts.

I have owned triode amps. I sold them. They are inadequate for me.

The concept of your tastes being inadequate does not exist in your closed universe. I can concede you don't care for my tastes in equipment even though you say so having never heard it...

However I have heard what you advocate and found it inadequate. Since your experience is so limited, it is certain you are wrong. End of story.

Well, we AGREE on one thing... you state : " I've owned triode amps, and they were inadequate". Yes, they are all mid-fi poorly-designed turkeys !!! Like I said, 99.9 percent of the amps you can BUY, are inadequate to MY ears also.

But, Old Guy, you have " not a clue " as to hearing what I am advocating. And I have also explained that if ONE thing is wrong in the chain, you never get to even hear what is possible.

I bet I could find LOTS of things wrong in your home's audio set up, in relationship to you obtaining high-end, best possible performance. Not " pro -sound " performance. So, I personally would never fully trust you ( not that you are untrustworthy as a person, of course ) to try out anything on such a compromised audio set up. Hence, my suggestion to hear the ENTIRE set up at a show over a weekend, or....... where it IS well-set up.

And there, ( above ) is the rub !!

Re AMPS : I have been building triode amps, for 45 years, to COPE and GET AROUND this obvious to me, and my then-mentor, Mr. Fulton, amplifier problem. That is 4 1/2 decades, most of my life. A 400 Watt ALTEC 9440 amp, on an A7 VOTT, or a GPA 604, having 100 dB + efficiency, is not the answer, it never will be, for ALL the reasons I have outlined in this thread.

End of story, have a good day. Do what makes YOU happy.

I do, and I have shared it openly, honestly, with anyone who cares to read my posts.

If you THINK me wrong, without EVEN hearing what I am talking about,....... enjoy that 9440 music listening experience. 'Go for it.

Best wishes to all.

Low Ohms.......Jeff Medwin

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    My experience with VC failure is mostly over powering, plus amp failures sending DC, generally from poorly designed amps, old amps that need servicing, or bad and/or experimental designs.

Right. Solid state amps.

Now you are speaking the truth. People are basically honest I find / hope !!

A low powered SET tube amp, 3 Watts or so, will have a Output Transformer, that will block all DC.

Thank you, magnarc.
    Last edited by LowOhms; August 19th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No negative feedback loop, in ALL of these designs.

Low Ohms,...... Jeff Medwin
    Jeff,

Since you are very quick to point out spelling mistakes in post of other members on this forum, I am sure you won't mind my pointing out a grammatical mistake in a recent post of yours (see above). Mixing positive and negative terms seems to be on the increase with native English speakers, but it is still bad grammar. The correct English usage is "No negative feedback loop, in ANY of these designs".

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Jeff, what is an "out-of-time negative feedback loop"? If electricity runs at about half the speed of light (186,000 miles/second)/2 than a feedback loop that encompasses about 6" of wire and components throws off the timing? You can hear that? WTF? Heck, I'm not sure how to even measure such a small time duration.

I totally missed this thread and here he (Jeff) is again with his asinine assertions demanding once again that we need to be educated his way.
    I believe it's time for this forum to do what so many other forums have done and bid Jeff farewell. I'm tired as many others are of being denigrated and talked down to.

The main reason I missed this whole post is because I don't spend much time reading anything on here anymore. This forum has been hijacked and I have been spending time on other forums as a result of that.

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Where have you been lurking Billwojo. So I can too to escape low ohms