Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs.

These are in some huge cabs. Looks like they have the Utah helper woofers.

These are claimed to be NOS, but probably not.

Seller wants 5 grand for the pair.

eBay - Page Not Found

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    These are in some huge cabs. Looks like they have the Utah helper woofers.

These are claimed to be NOS, but probably not.

Seller wants 5 grand for the pair.

eBay - Page Not Found
    I'll bet these are the same speakers that one of the guys on AK proposed to buy but then passed on them once he had them in house. Did you see that thread?

GeeDeeEmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I did see that thread GDM. I think these cabs are much larger than the ones in the AK thread. And also those were painted black.

It's funny, because I had never heard of the "Super Reds" with the Utah helper woofer, and then two pairs show up in a month.

I am curious how they compare to the Urei monitors with the Eminence helper woofer (Urei 813 I believe). Sounds like the other guy in the AK threads with the same speakers wasn't too impressed with the Utah woofers. He said he had his unhooked and acting as PR's. Lol.

But seriously, the cabinets in the ebay link for these speakers must be like 15-20 cubic feet. They look huge!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I did see that thread GDM. I think these cabs are much larger than the ones in the AK thread. And also those were painted black.

It's funny, because I had never heard of the "Super Reds" with the Utah helper woofer, and then two pairs show up in a month.

I am curious how they compare to the Urei monitors with the Eminence helper woofer (Urei 813 I believe). Sounds like the other guy in the AK threads with the same speakers wasn't too impressed with the Utah woofers. He said he had his unhooked and acting as PR's. Lol.

But seriously, the cabinets in the ebay link for these speakers must be like 15-20 cubic feet. They look huge!
    I have the UREI 813s and I can confirm they have the Eminence woofer but with accordion surrounds instead of the typical foam. The ones in the ebay ad looked twice as big!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    I have the UREI 813s and I can confirm they have the Eminence woofer but with accordion surrounds instead of the typical foam. The ones in the ebay ad looked twice as big!
    How do you like your Urei 813? Are they the early version with the 604G woofers?

My daily drivers are Urei 604Gs. I love them. I prefer the Urei horn over the normal 604G eggcrate horn, and the newer 604 Mantaray horn.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How do you like your Urei 813? Are they the early version with the 604G woofers?

My daily drivers are Urei 604Gs. I love them. I prefer the Urei horn over the normal 604G eggcrate horn, and the newer 604 Mantaray horn.
    They are the first version of the 813 with 604-8G drivers and the blue UREI horn. The person I bought them from was running them with a Dynaco ST70 power amp. I did not like that combination in his room. I am running them now with a Marantz 1150 integrated amp and they sound much better. I have always wanted 604-8G based speakers and I now have a pair. Of all of the Altec speakers that I have owned, which include A7s, Valencias, Flamencos, 19s, Santanas, all of them have their charms, the A5s are my hands down favorites.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    They are the first version of the 813 with 604-8G drivers and the blue UREI horn. The person I bought them from was running them with a Dynaco ST70 power amp. I did not like that combination in his room. I am running them now with a Marantz 1150 integrated amp and they sound much better. I have always wanted 604-8G based speakers and I now have a pair. Of all of the Altec speakers that I have owned, which include A7s, Valencias, Flamencos, 19s, Santanas, all of them have their charms, the A5s are my hands down favorites.
    I am converting my A7 speakers into A5's. I just bought a pair of 805 horns. I already have a pair of 288 drivers. Now I just need to find another 515b.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

once you go A5,,,
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am converting my A7 speakers into A5's. I just bought a pair of 805 horns. I already have a pair of 288 drivers. Now I just need to find another 515b.
    I concur with Phil-G....

Which 288s do you have? I tried 288Cs and 288-16Gs with mine. The 288C has warmer sound but do require a tweeter. I settled for the 16Gs because they provide very good high frequency extension.

I cant afford 515Bs, I use 515-8Gs with mine. I also tried the 416s....You will find that using the 416s will get you very close.

One day I will build the Hiraga crossovers, but I don't really feel the urge to do it now. When I have them on, I just smile...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I have a pair of 291C, which are the same as the 288H with the right diaphragms. Also have a single 288G that I am listening to now.

I have thought about buying some ferrite 515. Since they are so much cheaper. I have had this 515b frame, that I got a couple years back for 100$ on ebay. If I can ever find a mate for it, I will send them to GPA for a recone.

I am going to build the Hiraga crossovers also. I still can't decide if I want to go 8 ohm or 16 ohm for my drivers.

Right now I have a pair of (gasp!) JBL woofers in my 828 cabs. I am trying different woofers instead of the 416A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast