Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604 (super reds?), mastering lab xovers, huge cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I have a pair of 291C, which are the same as the 288H with the right diaphragms. Also have a single 288G that I am listening to now.

I have thought about buying some ferrite 515. Since they are so much cheaper. I have had this 515b frame, that I got a couple years back for 100$ on ebay. If I can ever find a mate for it, I will send them to GPA for a recone.

I am going to build the Hiraga crossovers also. I still can't decide if I want to go 8 ohm or 16 ohm for my drivers.

Right now I have a pair of (gasp!) JBL woofers in my 828 cabs. I am trying different woofers instead of the 416A
    With the Hiraga, probably the 8 ohm is more flexible. If you have a 16 ohm driver, you can parallel that with a 16 ohm resistor to get you in the ball park. That is what I am doing now....

I bought a pair of A7s a few years ago that came out of the Milwaukee School of Performing Arts. They had the 515-8G woofers and N1201-8A crossovers in them. It also came with the internal mounted 511B and 902-8B drivers. I swapped out the 511B/902 for 1005B/288-16Gs to make my quasi A5 since that was fairly easy to do. Ideally I need the 500C crossovers with the 515Bs to make a real A5....but I really don't have the urge right now. What I have sound great as is, driven by a 35W-40W tube amp.
    I do have a friend with A5s that have all of the right pieces. He is the one that got me down this A5 path. I bought my 288-16Gs from him.... I go to his place once in awhile for a sanity check :-) He has a number of wonderful systems.. the A5/McIntosh 275 combo is special.
    Last edited by kwingylee; October 9th, 2017 at 01:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12