Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twisted Pairs for Speaker Wiring ??

Senior Hostboard Member
    Twisted Pairs for Speaker Wiring ??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Twisted Pairs for Speaker Wiring ??

Quote Originally Posted by endeeinn View Post
    Teflon insulated silver plated copper stranded.
    If you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious....

All kidding aside, good wire but a mouthful.
    Last edited by Old Guy; October 7th, 2017 at 07:08 AM.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

....... and if you repeat it often enough ...... ?
    Last edited by mah; October 6th, 2017 at 11:22 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

This is my first speaker build, so I am trying to think of everything I can throw at it that does not cost significant money and I can do. I did the same thing on the only amp I built (and likely will every build unless I am dying for a project) and it turned out really well. Actually not sure how I could better it - lucked into some stunning transformers and caps.

It is a lot of little picky things that might provide improvement - probably why I am always asking bizarre, seeming unrelated questions..... I shellacked the baffle so it would be smooth (and bootiful) - smooth face recommendation from here. Flush mounted the port rather then stapling it to the face of the baffle. Dadoed in the baffle and center support, etc, etc. Yes, the wire is nice silver plated cu stranded (from Navships on Ebay) or at least the 12 gauge is - 20 gauge is silver plated solid core. Heard somewhere that there was a slight improvement with small gauge solid core over stranded on the treble side, so decided to give it a whack. Really liked the Navships stuff on my amp. If I have to redo the treble to stranded, that would be real easy and inexpensive to fix. I actually am listening to you guys !!!

This is the current state of the 'Altec Magnificent 604' cabs Other looks the same. Almost there, but just got another dose of abdominal surgery, so probably won't be able to proceed for another week or two..The crossovers are light weight work I can knock out now....... Original wood grills are waiting for repair and fitment also.

regards -- Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Forget about treble loss with wire in usual speaker cable runs and in crossovers - generally, internet repetitive nonsense.

If this is apparent the wire, must have abnormal levels of series inductance and shunt capacitance and shouldn't be used.

By the way, those cabs look great.
    Last edited by mah; October 7th, 2017 at 04:00 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I think you are probably right, and I actually dismiss much (if not most) of what I read on the internet unless it makes sense to me. The approach I took was based on a couple of issues I wanted to address / minimize. I think that the bass driver is a thirsty beast, and I wanted to make sure that pipeline was not restricted - hence the 12 gauge (hopefully adequate). The treble side issue was mainly to make sure there was no skin effect limitation for the higher frequencies (let some other element of my system roll off the highs....). 20 gauge seemed a good tradeoff between current handling and roll-off effect. Perhaps multi-strand offsets the skin effect completely, but i figured single strand should certainly work. Simplistic, but there you go......

Thanks for the cab comment. I think they are turning out well - a pile of time has gone in.

regards -- Roger
    Last edited by rogerh113; October 7th, 2017 at 09:58 AM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Starting to do a fitment check, and a warning about larger gauge wiring (that I did not consider). The capacitor lugs and the spring loaded bass wire connectors on the 604 are limited. The 604 can probably handle no more that 14 gauge, and the PIO capacitor lugs about the same. I am easing the capacitor lugs with a jewelers file - bit of a pain, and fortunately only 1 capacitor on the bass side of the Markwart. I will manage the 604 connector by probably pulling/clipping a strand or two at the very end, and soldering the bundle together (tin them with silver solder) to make it all work into the 604 connector. No big deal, but I probably would have gone with 14 gauge if I would have known..... The 12 will probably work fine with a bit of effort and creativity......

regards -- Roger

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Yes I had to strip the 12awg on the 14awg setting to get the wire to fit on my 604 terminals. The important part is the wire size over the long runs.

The wire size also dips when it goes into the coils. It is such a short part of the run that it doesn't make an audible difference.

Not to me at least

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah, ideally you size based on voltage drop over distance from termination to termination, so wiring inside the cab can be much smaller than between the amp/speaker and if you want to do it really right then biwire with separate HF, LF runs with single strand, the most efficient.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Hi,

Finished the first crossover. Treble side is 20 ga and the bass side 12. The lugs in the center between the 2 output lugs are to the treble adjustment pot.

regards -- Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)