Thread: Mounting internal sound deading material ??

Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Mounting internal sound deading material ??

Hi,

Getting close to mounting the internal sound deaden material in my speakers. I was thinking of cutting some small cardboard rounds and using them like washers on sheet rock screws. Probably not the most elegant approach, so I thought it would be useful to ask here for other approaches that worked well.

Good to have the board back up.....

thanks -- Roger

Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mounting internal sound deading material ??

Hi Roger,

What kind of deadening material are you using? Loose fiberglass, rayon, FiberFill, that recycled blue jean material, or open cell foam?

I just finished up a project that required very little filling, so I went with rigid fiberglass ceiling tiles. I stripped off the layer of pebble-grained plastic, then cut the tiles to size and used contact cement to attach them to the cabinet interiors. I also used some "fender washers" and drywall screws to give additional support.

In another project, I used rayon pillow stuffing material and attached it with spray-on contact cement. Wasn't sure if this would work, but it has so far. Of course, this fluffy type filler tends to be held in place by the mass of material under it, connecting wires, etc., but your idea of using cardboard washers should work quite well, too, because you can cut them to a size large enough to actually do some good.

In the past I've envisioned using fiberglass screen (the type used for your window and door screens) to make pillow case-type bags which could be filled with whatever loose material desired, then attaching them to the interior surfaces with a combo of fender washers and contact cement. This is probably going a bit overboard, but I have thought about trying it.

It'll be interesting to see what other alternatives have been used. Imagination is the limit, of course.

GeeDeeEmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Hi,

I am using some stuff called ultratouch denim - made of recycled blue jeans (thank the ladies for their denim appetite !! ). Avoids a lot of the unpleasantness of fibreglass, and the accoustical info seems pretty good. It looks solid enough such that it would not need to be pinned in too many places to make it stay put. The last page of the brochure has some accoustical specs for the material

http://bondedlogic.com/pdf/denim-ins...n-brochure.pdf

regards -- Roger

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

The screen bags are a good idea GDM! I'll have to try that in the future.

I usually use fiberglass insulation, stapled in with a staple gun. It has worked for me.

I really want ro try some of the denim insulation. It looks a lot nicer to work with and touch. Also you wouldn't have to worry as much about the fibers in the air (coming out of the port).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I remember looking inside some old Altec-built cabinets from the 50s that had fiberglas sheets in them which were held in place by squares of cardboard secured by screws (I think).
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I think the cardboard idea would probably work pretty well. The fiberglass in my Magnificents was held in place with long staples - Altec must have used some special purpose staple gun on them....

regards -- Roger

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I got the blue jean material installed in one of the cabs. Fairly easy material to work with - ended up cutting it with a wood chisel and then scissors. There are some pretty tough bits in there - I won't even ask which part that is, but no zippers yet.

Pic is of the back (upside down). The cardboard rounds hold things very well in place. A bit of open space for the diagonal brace, internal brace (back screws into it for more rigidity), and the crossover at the bottom. The left side and bottom of the cab also have the denim material - hopefully there is just the right amount in there.

Just need to mount the 604 and connect up the crossover - things are getting close.

altec sound deadening.jpg