0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: my A7s are up and running- and 416a magnet questions

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I'd love to offer more.................... Try posting on a reliable forum

But, i'm done dealing with the time outs and pages that fail to load on this piece of shit called "hostboard"

Fare thee well, mates!
    Can't say that I blame you. Repeated down times, slow loading, unresponsive controls . . . . it takes all the fun out of this forum.

I'll miss your input here, my friend. Have to catch your input on the other boards.

GeeDeeEmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Here is one of my Emilar on top of an 828 cab so you can see how nice they look

Attachment 3765

Sorry for the small pic, I am still lost without photobucket
    I like the approach to your port panel. Provides some mass and bracing. What is the area of the port? Looks like 828 cab- what woofer?

- - - Updated - - -

But, i'm done dealing with the time outs and pages that fail to load on this piece of shit called "hostboard"

Fare thee well, mates!
    Sorry to hear that.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kipduff View Post
    I like the approach to your port panel. Provides some mass and bracing. What is the area of the port? Looks like 828 cab- what woofer?
    The previous owner of my 828 cabs was using them upside down with the horn stuck in the port. They did not come to me with the correct port boards. I wanted a smaller port, and decided to cut a single piece out of 3/4? plywood.

I decided on 75 sq? based on several threads I have read on reduced port size. Reducing the port size did help the bass a bit. I would encourage anyone, to fine tune the port to the woofer they are using. I did a generic tuning, that was probably intended for a stock 416a or similar.

You know, I am not sure which woofers I had in during that time. I have run a few different woofers in these cabs, including (Altec) 416a, 421a, 421h, 616a, (JBL) 2225, LE15, and (EV) 15L, 15B. And probably a few others I am forgetting. I probably had 416a in there at that time.

I switched over from the Emilar bowties to Altec 805b. Now if I can just get a pair of Altec 515b/c/g in there, (or some of those TD15M) I will be happy for a bit

HB Super Moderator
    my A7s are up and running- and 416a magnet questions

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Fare thee well, mates!
    Bowtie I have to admit hostboard has had it's problems in the past, but I am not experiencing the time outs you are dealing with... It would help me to help you to know what browser, anti virus,and possible other software you are using to determine any conflict or compatibility issues you are having. I hope you reconsider your decision as I know how frustrating this can be..I was having a lot of issues awhile ago myself so I dumped Firefox,and especially Google Chrome..I started using Opera and haven't had many issues at all... The funny thing is Opera is based on Chromium browser...

I'll bet my bottom dollar that it is a browser or browser add-on that is causing the issue !!! Why only at hostboard I dunno.

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I think you might be on to something about the browser AB. I use my iphone and Apple computer, and have zero problems with the hostboard. Except when the whole damn thing is down of course

I am glad Bowtie decided to stay. We would all miss his expertise.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Bowtie I have to admit hostboard has had it's problems in the past, but I am not experiencing the time outs you are dealing with... It would help me to help you to know what browser, anti virus,and possible other software you are using to determine any conflict or compatibility issues you are having. I hope you reconsider your decision as I know how frustrating this can be..I was having a lot of issues awhile ago myself so I dumped Firefox,and especially Google Chrome..I started using Opera and haven't had many issues at all... The funny thing is Opera is based on Chromium browser...

I'll bet my bottom dollar that it is a browser or browser add-on that is causing the issue !!! Why only at hostboard I dunno.

Actually you have that incorrectly. Chrome is based on Firefox open source code, as is Opera. However parts of Chrome are not open source.

I currently run Firefox with relatively few issues.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    The previous owner of my 828 cabs was using them upside down with the horn stuck in the port. They did not come to me with the correct port boards. I wanted a smaller port, and decided to cut a single piece out of 3/4” plywood.

I decided on 75 sq” based on several threads I have read on reduced port size. Reducing the port size did help the bass a bit. I would encourage anyone, to fine tune the port to the woofer they are using. I did a generic tuning, that was probably intended for a stock 416a or similar.

You know, I am not sure which woofers I had in during that time. I have run a few different woofers in these cabs, including (Altec) 416a, 421a, 421h, 616a, (JBL) 2225, LE15, and (EV) 15L, 15B. And probably a few others I am forgetting. I probably had 416a in there at that time.

I switched over from the Emilar bowties to Altec 805b. Now if I can just get a pair of Altec 515b/c/g in there, (or some of those TD15M) I will be happy for a bit
    So... they have arrived, and I replaced the 416A right speaker that was scuffing the VCs first and AB'd them with the 828 with the original 416A that was functioning. To my surprise, at this point, there is not much increased output from the new speaker. The new right woofer is definitly louder though- just not by as much as I thought it would be. So my theory that the 416As had lost excessive flux density seems incorrect. What got me started on that theory was that the horns with attenuation almost at max, seemed to be dominating. In other words, the effiiciency of the horns seemed to be a mismatch for the effeciency of the woofers. Of course, Ive never heard a speaker like this XO's at 500Hz. For that matter, I haven't heard A7s at all (except possibly unknowingly in a theatre). Also, this seems to be pronounced on the left speaker. I need to check the left horn driver DC resistence- or the XO's- a lot of things to start checking. So this is my first critical listen of an A7. Of course, there are many variables here: new coupling caps in amps, new MBGO XO caps breaking in, new speakers breaking in, small room, etc.. All that said, I've never heard anything like these speakers. The reverby, eerie hall sound suits me perfect. Air... separation.... hearing more detail and information. I believe I am at the early stages of making these right, and I have faith in things to come.

I want to be more accurate in my understanding of these, so I want to get a SPL metering set up, and document frequency response graphs. SPL by Studio Six Digitalmeter for iOS @ a whopping $0.99 acyually sounds pretty good. If you want their remote microphone though, it's expensive at $199. Wondering if you guys would recommend a set up? Plenty of inexpensive SPL meters on Amazon. Was wanting to use my Mac lap top or iPad. But have a bare-bones Windows 10 laptop if necessary.

I have made several sizes of 3/4" Baltic Birch port panels. Am currently using the stock, original 828 configuration as seen in the drawing: 7.66" X 25.5" opening (approx 200 sq in) with horn on top of cab. Similar to what Jeff Markwart was using in his 825's in his article I think. Although I don't have much time in with these or experience with A7s, I prefer this config so far to the 3.5"/90 sq in opening panels the previous owner had supplied them with. I listen relatively loud. This might partially explain why my findings differ so much with the consensus that 90 sq in is the best set up. As time passes, and things stabilize, naturally, I will try the smaller ports again- and other sizes.

Will be swapping out the left speaker soon. Thanks, Kip.......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been tesing my speakers and breaking in the GPA's. Because I don't have much spare time and was having trouble trying to use Room EQ Wizard, I went for the $99 Fuzzmeasure program and got some decent graphs right away. Will try to use REW in future- looks like good program.

Trying to aquire testing skills and methods. So far, I have this set up. Mac Mini desktop>Fuzzmeasure sweep signal USB out>DAC>direct into Bottlehead 300B monobloc amps (use volume control in Mac Mini)>A7s.....measure SPL with Dayton EMM-6 measurement microphone>Scarlet 2i2 audio interface>USB out to Fuzzmeasure program in Mac Mini. See attached links to graph. With the original working 1966 416A with good voicecoil and repaired XOs, the results are pretty respectable.

I am trying to get some repeatable and stable proceedures and equipment before I do A/B comparisons between 416A and GPA 416-16B. Fuzzmeasure graphs at this point are not able to give absolute SPL values- values shown are randomly assigned and relative to the other points on the graph. Using iPhone app SPLNFFT for semi accurate absolute SPL comparissons. I've attached some graphs about 3 1/2" vs 7 5/8" A7/828 port sizes and also showing the HF attenuation of the original N500-E XOs.

Any testing technique tips appreciated.

Dropbox - A7 828 w 416A 90 sq in v 200 sq in port.pdf

Dropbox - Altec A7 SPL graph HF attenuation 2017 11 29.pdf

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kipduff View Post
    I've been tesing my speakers and breaking in the GPA's. Because I don't have much spare time and was having trouble trying to use Room EQ Wizard, I went for the $99 Fuzzmeasure program and got some decent graphs right away. Will try to use REW in future- looks like good program.

Trying to aquire testing skills and methods. So far, I have this set up. Mac Mini desktop>Fuzzmeasure sweep signal USB out>DAC>direct into Bottlehead 300B monobloc amps (use volume control in Mac Mini)>A7s.....measure SPL with Dayton EMM-6 measurement microphone>Scarlet 2i2 audio interface>USB out to Fuzzmeasure program in Mac Mini. See attached links to graph. With the original working 1966 416A with good voicecoil and repaired XOs, the results are pretty respectable.

I am trying to get some repeatable and stable proceedures and equipment before I do A/B comparisons between 416A and GPA 416-16B. Fuzzmeasure graphs at this point are not able to give absolute SPL values- values shown are randomly assigned and relative to the other points on the graph. Using iPhone app SPLNFFT for semi accurate absolute SPL comparissons. I've attached some graphs about 3 1/2" vs 7 5/8" A7/828 port sizes and also showing the HF attenuation of the original N500-E XOs.

Any testing technique tips appreciated.

Dropbox - A7 828 w 416A 90 sq in v 200 sq in port.pdf

Dropbox - Altec A7 SPL graph HF attenuation 2017 11 29.pdf

Kipduff,

I had trouble with Room EQ as well. There is a freeware program out there that worked pretty well for me, it is called Holm Impulse...

HOLM Acoustics

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Kipduff,

I had trouble with Room EQ as well. There is a freeware program out there that worked pretty well for me, it is called Holm Impulse...

HOLM Acoustics

Thanks. Looks nice- especially the instructions. Apparently PC only though. As I move foreward, if I have limitations with Fuzzmeasure, I will dust off my Best Buy lap top.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast