Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec 402 version opinions?

Like the 755, the 402 was revised over the years. Currently there is a pair of 402C on ebay.... Excellent-Condition-ALTEC-402C-16-ohm-serial-391645
    I have a pair of 402s in my 835A Monterey Jr.s, but I don't recall which letter version..... A or B?

I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in desirability between the versions..... sonically or monetarily?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Altec 402 version opinions?

Should be a 'B':

http://www.hifilit.com/Altec/1959-i.jpg

http://www.hifilit.com/Altec/1959-j.jpg

In general; much later driver versions had specs 'juggled' to work 'good enough' in earlier speaker designs, but ideally needed either [more] EQ and/or a complete redesign.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for those links. The last time I tried visiting that site none of my old links worked.

If the B dates to 59, how early was the A? Off the top of your head, do you have any ideas of it's origins?

In general; much later driver versions had specs 'juggled' to work 'good enough' in earlier speaker designs, but ideally needed either [more] EQ and/or a complete redesign.

It's sad when that happens. So often our modern products have a hard time measuring up to reasonable customer expectations because "good enough" has been taken to the extreme.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

No clue; my Altec speaker 'association'/'pashion' began in '52 with these except with an 1804 tar filled horn, though at age 6 wouldn't learn this till much later, so never paid much attention to anything not big with at least one horn except when someone wanted help with their consumer gear: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...vott/page3.jpg

A lot of catalog, in-depth knowledge was available in early postings on the net that are long gone now unless the early net archives still exists and will someday be made available again.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.