Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacement Crossovers for Heathkit AS-101 Altecs

Hi, I still trying to get a post entered regarding this issue I have. I need to upgrade my 1970 Heathkit AS-101 speakers. I need advice on components to use. These original crossovers have PIO and that was all I ever was exposed to so naturally I would love to get them replaced. However, I realize it's really hard to get PIO caps these days so I'm hoping to learn which way I should go. Any help will so be appreciated! Thank you all in advance.
    Peace

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: Replacement Crossovers for Heathkit AS-101 Altecs

Quote Originally Posted by gdimauro4953 View Post
    Hi, I still trying to get a post entered regarding this issue I have. I need to upgrade my 1970 Heathkit AS-101 speakers. I need advice on components to use. These original crossovers have PIO and that was all I ever was exposed to so naturally I would love to get them replaced. However, I realize it's really hard to get PIO caps these days so I'm hoping to learn which way I should go. Any help will so be appreciated! Thank you all in advance.
    Peace

You'll find many Altec enthusiasts using Motor-Run caps these days . I use them with my Altec 288-8Ks.

Typically ( at least for the last few decades ) Motor-Runs construction is MPP, damped in oil .

They're not the PIO's of days gone-by but are instead, Metalized PolyPropylene in oil.

They are really quite good and readily available ( at decent prices ) from surplus caps sellers on eBay.

Remember you can directly add cap values ( when paralleled ) to get the value you need.

Here's the schematic for your network.

Junior Hostboard Member gdimauro4953's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Re: Replacement Crossovers for Heathkit AS-101 Altecs

Earl K,

Thank you so much for this info. The Heathkit Circuit Description wiring diagram you attached is perfect. I now have a direction I can aim for. Many thanks once again!

Peace