Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Altec vs Klipsch K402

On another forum a poster commented that Altec were lesser horns than the K402 for hifi use. I haven't heard a K402.

Any comparative experience here?

Were they designed for smaller spaces as in home listening? How close can you listen to them?

Did Don Keele design similar horns for both companies?
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec vs Klipsch K402

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Altec vs Klipsch K402

Opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one. Having heard that system, it's OK, nothing special.

This guy probably has heard a set of 511 or 811 (or, not and) and formed an opinion on ALL Altec horns. Small minds live in small worlds.

Klipsch does their standard PT Barnum marketing claiming the K-69 they use on that horn is a 2 inch driver...it has a 2 inch DIAPHRAGM, not throat.

My opinion? A decent sort of CD horn with a mediocre driver on the back. Your mileage may vary. It doesn't sound horrible.

My opinion further is a set of 288G or H on 329's or 311-90 will make those Klipsch cry for their momma.

EDIT- quoted verbatim from Voltiaudio...

" 2" midrange and 1" tweeter compression drivers

Now I'm not trying to be a sore sport or anything, but c'mon, Klipsch knows darned well that the midrange driver used in the Khorn is not a 2" driver. It may have a 2" diaphragm, but it is most certainly not a 2" driver. In fact, the driver loads into a horn throat that measures about 11/16" in diameter.

The K-69 driver that Klipsch uses on the K402 horn is called a 2" driver.

Across the industry is it understood what a 2" driver is. They fit on a horn with a 2" throat.

The BMS 4592 driver that I use on the V-Trac horn has a 3-1/2" diaphragm. Does that mean that I should advertise that the Vittora speakers have 3-1/2" midrange compression drivers?

I've had more than one customer contact me about this innaccuracy on the Klipsch website, confused about it and thinking that Klipsch is now using a 2" driver on the "new" Klipschorn. I have to explain to them that Klipsch is using the same midrange horn design (albeit with a plastic horn rather than metal) that they've used for decades, with the same long constricted throat and K55 driver, with essentially the same performance as they've had all those years.

Do you think Klipsch knows about and condones this innaccuracy, or is this just a simple oversight?

Just an interesting little tidbit that I wanted to vent about. "
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow I haven't posted in a long time. I would love to hear some of Altecs bigger horns. I have heard the 811,511 and the horn in the M500. With the lowly K69 k402 dialed in its not even close the K402 destroys them even with the 159.00 k69 driver. I use Tads with mine and the sound can be pretty astonishing. After hearing these speakers, in 2 minutes I knew my model 19s would be sold.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec vs Klipsch K402

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    Wow I haven't posted in a long time. I would love to hear some of Altecs bigger horns. I have heard the 811,511 and the horn in the M500. With the lowly K69 k402 dialed in its not even close the K402 destroys them even with the 159.00 k69 driver. I use Tads with mine and the sound can be pretty astonishing. After hearing these speakers, in 2 minutes I knew my model 19s would be sold.
    We will just have to agree to disagree. In my opinion the Klipsch is a very average sounding horn. As I said, they don't sound horrible. But I can hear significantly higher distortion in that driver. It's a combo I would never use. But if you are happy with it only your opinion matters. People have been listening to distortion from Klipsch for years and liking it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

So,

No longer,

does Klipsch use ,

Eminence woofers/Atlas tweeters?

(Has been a few years)
    guns kill people,

like spoons made rush limbaugh,

fat ....

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec vs Klipsch K402

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    So,

No longer,

does Klipsch use ,

Eminence woofers/Atlas tweeters?

(Has been a few years)
    Atlas stopped making OEM drivers in the late 70's. Klipsch was having drivers made by EV for years, but I suspect like everybody else they have gone to China.

I think Eminence still builds a lot for Klipsch.

The Chinese are cranking out some decent product. Like Eminence, they will build what you pay for.

Made in USA is no guarantee. I know of at least one company buying the drivers and diaphragms unassembled and claiming "Made in USA" after bolting the two together...