Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Baaronj View Post
    Terp - any chance you'll be wanting to get rid of those 612 cabs you've got the 604-8gs in? I'm on the lookout for a pair of 612s or 620s for my 604-8gs.
    I will at some point. Ill let you know. I believe there are a pair of 612 cabs for sale on AudioKarma and or Craigslist/Northern VA. I know the guy selling them. Good guy. I am considering having some cabs made of MLTL design. We will see.

I have switched to the Markwart Crossovers and at first listen do not hear much difference then the GPA crossovers I was using. Both are an improvement over stock but cant say which is better.

Junior Hostboard Member Baaronj's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I will at some point. Ill let you know. I believe there are a pair of 612 cabs for sale on AudioKarma and or Craigslist/Northern VA. I know the guy selling them. Good guy. I am considering having some cabs made of MLTL design. We will see.

I have switched to the Markwart Crossovers and at first listen do not hear much difference then the GPA crossovers I was using. Both are an improvement over stock but cant say which is better.
    Sounds good. I really like the Markwart crossovers on my 604s - they only other crossover I've heard is the N-1500a on 604e. The Markwart is definitely more refined, flatter in the mids, and more extended than the N-1500a. That said, the 604e to my ears has a gorgeous, more 'old school Altec' tone that I really loved. I tried the mid-range attenuation circuit that Markwart suggested as an addition to the N-1500a, which brought it close to the 604-8g. I wanted phase correction though, which is why I traded to the 604-g.

I actually did see those 612s on Audiokarma and would love to grab them....but I need to either get up there, or find a way to get them closer to North Florida where I'm located.

There is a pair of beat up 620 cabs closer to me that I'm considering picking up. They've had the crossover hole on the front baffle enlarged, and have paint on the sides, so those may be insurmountable cosmetic issues for me (ok, my wife). I'm trying to figure out if I could plug the holes with scrap ply, sand them flush, and have an auto body shop put enough coats of paint on them so that you can't see a big patch in the front. Even though I'd much prefer to have 620 cabs, I'm on the fence on that deal. On the other hand, empty 620s are really hard to come by near me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123