Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: Constrained layer damping or mass loading

A bit too brief for me............please elaborate.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I may have misused the term mass loading, I was referring to what the come along and ratchet straps were accomplishing. As to the constrained layer damping, I was wondering if the 828 cabinet, as wiggly as they are could be considered to be viscoelastic.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Not really, just a different way to do it, though you'll be hard pressed to use enough ratchet straps unless it's those designed to hold super heavy loads to tractor trailers once you brace/gusset the various cabs. FWIW, when first viewed, I was thinking the wide steel banding with formed ends to pull them together with hinge bolts, i.e. custom made clamps like this to get the high clamping pressure ideally required, but way too expensive for your app: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...iGsIAFh5-Y-DAQ

Anyway, gives you an idea what it takes to do it up right, though of course any is better than none. Wish I'd been allowed to keep pics of some of the projects I did at [Eaton] Cutler-Hammer, especially for the military, such as the flight line service trucks for the then new C5A Galaxy in '67-68. All the associated controllers, test gear, power supplies had to withstand incredibly hard to meet environmental, vibration, etc., specs including the clamping system that held, yet 'floated', this huge assembly in the truck bed.

As the banned Dr. Lowmu proved, it takes at least as much added mass as the speaker weighs, so sufficient constrained layer damping won't save you much weight, if any if the cabs are MDF. Better then to 'tune them way up' [in resonant frequency] by dramatically increasing each cab's rigidity.

The only thing you want viscoelastic is the trailer's shocks.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.