Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

604-8K in Infinite Baffle?

It has been a while since I have posted here. I have lurked from time to time, but the server issues pretty much prevented me from either logging on or even viewing the posts.

I have a question about the possibility of doing an infinite baffle install in a building on my property. The building is about 12' x 25' 15'. I will be putting up sheetrock and doing the install myself.

thing is, I currently have 19's, and in a similar sized room (minus the 15' ceilings ) the dimensions are close, but my new place/room will have more depth. Thing is, I feel that my 19's are pretty cramped in their current environment (sidewall and rear wall boundaries) and I will be wanting to utilize my 604-8k's. Most of us know that they seem to love large cabs. I had a pair years ago in 620 cabs, and found their performance was pretty good for my tastes.

Now with that said, the 620 cabs tend to be as wide as the 19's cab, and the 604's do enjoy large cabs, and I have read that they benefit from a large front baffle.

So, I was thinking about making some large mltl's , ala, going on GM's excellent, sage advice over the years.... That got me wondering also about maybe utilizing the corners maybe. Bill Fort's cabs came to mind, then I remember a member on the AA, "gargoyle (?)? had a nice post about his very large corner cabs too. Then I remember years ago reading about and experiencing folks who had built IB subs into their listening room and it solved the problem of not dealing with cabs taking up space in one's room.

Is this worth pursuing, or should I look at maybe doing a soffit mount instead?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: 604-8K in Infinite Baffle?

Definitely worth pursuing, just not sure what the game plan is; I mean is this just 604 IB or 604 and sub IB? All in the corners or? Performance goals? Floor plan? Ceiling height?

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Definitely worth pursuing, just not sure what the game plan is; I mean is this just 604 IB or 604 and sub IB? All in the corners or? Performance goals? Floor plan? Ceiling height?

GM
    Glad to see you again GM, I was about to go to one of the Altec facebook groups and hunt you down, lol!

Sorry that my post was a bit scattered and not as well defined. I was writing after being a little excited of getting a new place that met and exceeded me and my wife's expectations.

Ok, the building's dimensions are roughly 14' x 25' x 15' unfinished. I'll more than likely drop the ceiling some. It is a garage at the moment, so it will not be a huge issue. I think the actual ceiling will be around 12' high. It has been a while since I have been in and assessed it. Where the trusses meet the top of the walls, I estimate it to be around 12'.

I plan on only the 604's being in a IB configuration. My experience with my last pair of 604-8k's in 620A cabs did not lean towards me needing extra impact in the lowest octaves. I can always try subs if I need more "oopmh" below what the 604's can produce. I plan on positioning them more so away from the corners, unless a corner IB would be more beneficial for boundary/corner/room gain. I am just knocking around ideas right now since I basically have this space and it is a clean palette to work/design form. I have no issues/qualms, or other problems with building any large cabinets. I just have read that "the best cabinet is no cabinet". I also considered possibly of doing a large MLTL soffit mount, but that lead me to thinking of doing an IB. The IB seems to much simpler and solves a few issues. I'll just have to work on my XO and tune it for to my ears.

I appreciate any advice or considerations!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Greets!

Yeah, long time no hear! I tried FB, but quickly soured on it big time, so just answer the occasional question in passing.

Quick Q.......Ya'll open to creating a live end/dead end [LEDE] amphitheater with tapered walls, sloping ceiling and diffusor back wall? This will negate eigenmodes, reducing them to fast decaying slap echo. I mean 604s are studio monitors, so to best preserve its tone in a larger setting with longer listening distances is to ~replicate a studio-like acoustic environment.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You know, just after I posted that post, the though of doing a sloping roof line did pop into my head! Then I of the thought of the angles and such. It looks like I will have to model it maybe? But I am open to that option.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    You know, just after I posted that post, the though of doing a sloping roof line did pop into my head! Then I of the thought of the angles and such. It looks like I will have to model it maybe? But I am open to that option.

Model what? You mean draw to scale? Or are you good with computer drafting/Sketchup?

Regardless, walls expand @ >12 deg included and ceiling >12 deg..

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't messed with sketchup in quite some time! Is it even still free?

I plan on making panels, I already have a case of OC703 and plans to buy more.

I think I meant measure. I'll get a mic and some software and measure responses/signals weeps in the room. Right now it is just a garage ready to be converted.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yet to try it, but there's both freeware and Pro versions.

Panels?! Do the wall, ceiling 'thing' and shouldn't need any, ditto much in the way of room measurements.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks GM, I'll look into it.... This will be a pretty protracted process for me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

You're welcome!

GM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast