Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
Yup, I was using the octals for the 24db slopes, kinda passed over the 1631a/XEQ-2. What I could not find then - and still cannot - is the CD Horn EQ recipe. I don't see it there in 4.8. No worries though, have moved on from them too.

So how are the engines coming along?

Gearfreak, I finally got them into my small one car garage. Wife and kids not happy.
The cabinets are actually in pretty good shape. Veneer is coming off in a couple of the corners. Nothing that wood glue could not fixed.
I pulled the grills and note that everything has been sprayed white. Some over spray got on the cones but not too bad. The previous owner had one gentleman stopped by before I did and he did not buy them because of the over spray. Apparently he wanted to use the drivers in an open baffle configuration. I am not even sure how one can secure the horns without it looking ridiculous.
Other than the overspray, I would say everything is in very good shape.
I did not have time to set up the active crossover with my ISP-100s as I want. Its too much to drag that, my old home theater amp and all of the cables to see how they sound yet. Instead I used a set of ESS AMT-1 crossovers that I had laying around and hooked them up. They are second order crossovers with "presence" and "brilliance" controls for the highs and the crossover point is around 1000Hz as recommended in the Altec literature. I used a vintage 1970s Marantz 1150 integrated amp to drive them. Based on my standards as owner of A5, A7, Flamenco, UREI etc...They sound OK. They dont rock my boat in the current config but they dont suck either. It will take some work for me to get them to sound respectable....