Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OT: TAD pig in a pokes

OT for your entertainment.

So we bit the bullet and picked up some used TAD TD-4001's.

A pig in a poke, as the stubborn covers won't come off. Will have to clear a proper workspace before trying to coax them. Open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Listened there, they seemed smooth but otherwise when tested coarsely they dropped like a rock somewhere between 12 and 15k.

So maybe tired original diaphragms, maybe replacement diaphragms, or maybe it's my ears that drop like a rock between 12 and 15k.

If nothing else, at least it looks like I'll get to compare first hand used TADs next to used 288's. :-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: TAD pig in a pokes

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    OT for your entertainment.

So we bit the bullet and picked up some used TAD TD-4001's.

A pig in a poke, as the stubborn covers won't come off. Will have to clear a proper workspace before trying to coax them. Open to suggestions if anyone has them.

Listened there, they seemed smooth but otherwise when tested coarsely they dropped like a rock somewhere between 12 and 15k.

So maybe tired original diaphragms, maybe replacement diaphragms, or maybe it's my ears that drop like a rock between 12 and 15k.

If nothing else, at least it looks like I'll get to compare first hand used TADs next to used 288's. :-)
    I have TD4001 with original phragms, I have 288-16G and used to have 288C wuth GPA phragms.

The TD4001 has way more presence. The 288C is the sweetest but least extended. The 288-16G is in between the two. I used to run the 4001 drivers wide open. Nowadays, I cut them off around 7K and hand them off to supertweeters.

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: OT: TAD pig in a pokes

Thanks for the input KL. So what tweeters pray-tell?

I did ultimately get the covers off, and et voila original 'phragms. (Y)

Swapped in for the 604's HF sections with no changes (x 48db @ 2k) to suit them, I think they sound pretty good.
    It may be the novelty of a little more output, or that I just enjoy the larger horns that they are on.
    of course they are not concentric, nor are they time aligned at the moment.

I need to cobble together one more line level attenuator then will try them as MF or HF in a 3 way system, and eventually get around to comparing to the 288-8k, and maybe Renkus SSD-3301. I've actually got enough matching 2" horns to mount them all, though the 288 beholden to an adaptor in that case.