Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Stonehenge V - 511 system...

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Altec Stonehenge V - 511 system...

Hi guys...geesh it’s been a while...kinda miss this forum...good folks here.
    I’ve been trying to get to the end of my career, still got a little way to go.

Thought I’d share a speaker system I put together from excess parts of the giant horn system I built a while ago. Had a lot of great advice during that journey, so thanks kind folks.

-a pair of 1964 605-B duplexes that I had sent to GPA for a complete restoration.
    -a pair of Stonehenge V cabs I got from GPA as well.
    -a pair of 511 horns
    -an 808-A matched set I sent to GPA to replace the symbiotiks with aluminum
    ...I also lined the back cover with felt...I thought these were the 2 things I needed to do to convert to 802-D’s

Not wanting to spend too much, I bought a pair of Crown XLS1502 amps and set them up in bi-amplify mode.
    ...Then, on a suggestion from someone here who asked why not use the smaller horn of the duplex as the tweeter
    ...I did just that, using 2 - 4.7uf caps in series with the tweeter and all in parallel with the big horn.

For this exercise I enabled the big sub-woofers in the main system and played some music.
    Of course it sounded great...but I was a little surprised just how good it sounded, knowing how much I had spent on the main system. I’ll try to upload some pics when I figure that out. It’s funny it’s been so long since hangin in these parts but I never forgot the knowledge I picked up here. So thanks everybody!

- - - Updated - - -

I click on manage attachments...I select a file...jpg....32kb....about a third of the max size allowed...upload...504 error...hostboard failure....I tried.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Mac; September 23rd, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: upload didn’t fail!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Altec Stonehenge V - 511 system...

Nice work, it looks a little like what mhardy has been doing with his 604E's....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    Nice work, it looks a little like what mhardy has been doing with his 604E's....
    thanks! i tried to use the search function but came up empty...oh well...would like to preview those thread(s).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do not think he posts he much. you can try hifihaven.org or the audioasylum.com. His moniker is mhardy6647. Hope that helps!

here's a link to a pic of his speakers, Personally, I like vintage Altec. - mhardy6647 - High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

I was going to try and add a pic, but it seems that I do not have permission. At least the link I posted, automatically becomes a hotlink....
    Last edited by oface1; September 29th, 2019 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added a link

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    Hi guys...geesh it?s been a while...kinda miss this forum...good folks here.
    I?ve been trying to get to the end of my career, still got a little way to go.

Thought I?d share a speaker system I put together from excess parts of the giant horn system I built a while ago. Had a lot of great advice during that journey, so thanks kind folks.

-a pair of 1964 605-B duplexes that I had sent to GPA for a complete restoration.
    -a pair of Stonehenge V cabs I got from GPA as well.
    -a pair of 511 horns
    -an 808-A matched set I sent to GPA to replace the symbiotiks with aluminum
    ...I also lined the back cover with felt...I thought these were the 2 things I needed to do to convert to 802-D?s

Not wanting to spend too much, I bought a pair of Crown XLS1502 amps and set them up in bi-amplify mode.
    ...Then, on a suggestion from someone here who asked why not use the smaller horn of the duplex as the tweeter
    ...I did just that, using 2 - 4.7uf caps in series with the tweeter and all in parallel with the big horn.

For this exercise I enabled the big sub-woofers in the main system and played some music.
    Of course it sounded great...but I was a little surprised just how good it sounded, knowing how much I had spent on the main system. I?ll try to upload some pics when I figure that out. It?s funny it?s been so long since hangin in these parts but I never forgot the knowledge I picked up here. So thanks everybody!

- - - Updated - - -

I click on manage attachments...I select a file...jpg....32kb....about a third of the max size allowed...upload...504 error...hostboard failure....I tried.
    If I understand this correctly, you are using the 511B/808-8A as the mids and the small horn in the center of the 604 as tweeters? What is your crossover frequency to the 511/808?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    If I understand this correctly, you are using the 511B/808-8A as the mids and the small horn in the center of the 604 as tweeters? What is your crossover frequency to the 511/808?
    600Hz
    the smaller horns are kicked in above 5khz with a 4.7uf cap in series
    ?->the 808a?s have effectively been converted to 802d?s

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

I do not think he posts he much.
    He's martyh45 here: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/members/martyh45.html

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    ...I also lined the back cover with felt...I thought these were the 2 things I needed to do to convert to 802-D?s

Of course it sounded great...but I was a little surprised just how good it sounded, knowing how much I had spent on the main system. I?ll try to upload some pics when I figure that out. It?s funny it?s been so long since hangin in these parts but I never forgot the knowledge I picked up here. So thanks everybody!
    Greets!

Long time no hear!

That's all, other than leaving off the loading cap that became standard on them not too far into its run.

I resemble that remark , been suggesting it since I tried it in an A7-500 system in the early '70s, though don't recall if it was actually me. Regardless, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

See you removed all your audio stuff from your site, so for any newbies, feast your eyes on his main system: Super Bad Cat

GM

- - - Updated - - -

An Emilar horn? For sure not Altec.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    He's martyh45 here: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/members/martyh45.html

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Greets!

Long time no hear!

That's all, other than leaving off the loading cap that became standard on them not too far into its run.

I resemble that remark , been suggesting it since I tried it in an A7-500 system in the early '70s, though don't recall if it was actually me. Regardless, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

See you removed all your audio stuff from your site, so for any newbies, feast your eyes on his main system: Super Bad Cat

GM

- - - Updated - - -

An Emilar horn? For sure not Altec.

GM
    Hey GM, good to hear from you!
    My website is kind of a sore subject. I had a static website..photos..music...that I could share easily with html script. It was easy to manage and at the time the technology for ?pre-fab? sites was not good. Then the hosting providers started hassling me for more money for a secure connection and I soured on the provider...held my nose...got a godaddy account with web templates and moved on. I felt bad for losing those links because I thought it might help some poor sap who got the audio bug but didn?t know ?how? to build. Thank God for the wayback machine. I?d like to resurrect some of this audio schtuff, need to retire move and have free time to enjoy all the work

WRT the black plastic loading caps screwed into the drivers...just remove them and let the driver face the felt lined back cover plate? I missed this part? OMG

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Greets!

Right, as prosound began requiring more power it was necessary to reduce the rear chamber volume as much as practical, so created the 808 series with the concave Bakelite loading cap originally developed for the 604E that reduced it to however much the same gap to the phase plug.

Anyway, as long as power is kept reasonable, no loading cap is required on any of the drivers: Altec Lansing Compression Driver Rear Loading Caps - Great Plains Audio

DIY horn threads:

80-800Hz Ideas on the right Altec solution

Altec Inspired Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800Hz

Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800 Hz

Lots more [semi] related info if you search.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Greets!

Right, as prosound began requiring more power it was necessary to reduce the rear chamber volume as much as practical, so created the 808 series with the concave Bakelite loading cap originally developed for the 604E that reduced it to however much the same gap to the phase plug.

Anyway, as long as power is kept reasonable, no loading cap is required on any of the drivers: Altec Lansing Compression Driver Rear Loading Caps - Great Plains Audio

GM
    Nice link there, appreciate it!
    Well false alarm, I only forgot I removed them. ...oh boy
    I remember when this all went up in indy, even without the loading caps, I was able to produce high volume in an ~25x35 foot room...then i moved up to the 511e and the gpa 288 and the 808s were packed up.

I?ve got to say, the Crown amps, although much less expensive than what I was using made this side project much easier, and I think it sounds very good. It just seems that the presence of good drivers and horn design is more important than the nuances of expensive amplifiers...and that has been a recurring theme for me over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast