Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Altec Model 19 vs. Cornwall II

I've owned Model 19 speakers for several years and love them--will probably never part with them. I have another listening space that needs a pair of "good" speakers. A friend of a friend is selling his 1986 Klipsch Cornwall speakers--stock configuration (by 1986 they no longer used the controversial metal midrange horn and used an "upgraded" tweeter and crossover network). He hasn't listed them yet so I'll get first crack at them if I want. I'm not going to be able to A/B them against my Model 19's of course, but I think I'll know right off the bat if they're in the same league or not. It's a long drive from my home--is it worth investigating them/driving a good distance or are they going to pale in comparison to Model 19's? I realize if I ask this question on a Klipsch forum I may get a different answer, but I'm not interested in joining a Klipsch forum and value the opinions many of you here. Thanks in advance for your opinions/input...
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member mattvandyke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Altec Model 19 vs. Cornwall II

I've not had the opportunity to own Cornwall II's or to hear them lately (past 15+ years) but many folks have stated that they would probably not hold up to the Model 19's. I've had the pleasure of owning 4 different sets of Model 19's for the past 20 years and love them dearly. There are very few speakers out their that can come close to them if properly updated and with a good music system behind them.

Of all of the other speakers that I've heard and listen to over the years, if I was going to buy a second set of speakers (depending on room size and placement) I would buy the new Magnepan LRS. I've owned multiple sets of Magnepans and they are a very unique speaker that tends to fill the room with unbelievable sound that makes you set up and take notice of them. They don't have the dynamics of the Model 19's but their imaging and sound fields are amazing.

Good luck!

Matt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    I've owned Model 19 speakers for several years and love them--will probably never part with them. I have another listening space that needs a pair of "good" speakers. A friend of a friend is selling his 1986 Klipsch Cornwall speakers--stock configuration (by 1986 they no longer used the controversial metal midrange horn and used an "upgraded" tweeter and crossover network). He hasn't listed them yet so I'll get first crack at them if I want. I'm not going to be able to A/B them against my Model 19's of course, but I think I'll know right off the bat if they're in the same league or not. It's a long drive from my home--is it worth investigating them/driving a good distance or are they going to pale in comparison to Model 19's? I realize if I ask this question on a Klipsch forum I may get a different answer, but I'm not interested in joining a Klipsch forum and value the opinions many of you here. Thanks in advance for your opinions/input...
    I have owned Model 19s with the 416-8B and 802-8G drivers as well as Cornwall 1s, they are similar sounding speakers: big and bold with plenty of dynamics. The model 19 has more presence but the Cornwalls are no slouch with the right electronics. The Cornwalls are much less expensive than the Model 19 nowadays. IMHO, if you like Altecs and Klipschs, you are going to be disappointed at the planars at the Cornwall's current price range of $1,000 or so.
    Last edited by kwingylee; September 30th, 2019 at 02:57 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

A then co-worker had original Cornwalls and we equated them more with the 846B Valencias he'd considered, but with a bit smoother highs. Mostly, it boiled down to price.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.