Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPA Altec 604H II's ....... Finally have a set in my room!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Re: GPA Altec 604H II's ....... Finally have a set in my roo

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Shhhhhh.
    FWIW, for all the 'frustration' he caused, I'm grateful he 'took me to task' re mass loading as I've used his efforts to bust long time myths, convince a lot of naysayers, 'fence sitters', etc., around the world to at least begin to get a clue how to properly design a speaker cab WRT stiffness Vs mass and the balance between the two based on the driver/needs of the app. What's really sad though is there's a fair number who have various types of engineering degrees, professional engineers that were at least exposed to the 'physics of the situation', though admittedly some are just trying to misdirect to justify the cost cutting corners in their products, among other things more heinous IMNSHO.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Very cool. I?ve wanted to get some corner horns, but lack two good corners to put them in. Lol.
    FWIW, PWK proved many decades ago that one can get a goodly amount of a typical room's corner loading [very few homes come close except those with ~below grade basements and castles] using partial height false walls and while I don't recall him stating it, regular speakers too.

GM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by charles_hidalgo View Post
    Jeff Markwart xovers here as well.
    Very nice! FWIW, while the pillows definitely help with cavity resonances I found that short of completely sealing up the side gaps it took a whole roll of insulation with gaps in the plastic bag [mini bass trap] behind the speakers to completely damp them, though is very room dependent, so YMV as to how much damping is required.

Ditto absorbers on each side of the wall/speaker to lower early reflections in the baffle step bandwidth [BW] that comb filters with the driver's output, 'tightening up' the lower mids and their harmonics, especially with such large/deep cabs.

FWIW, most of the speaker systems I designed/built for others in my short 'career' were tall/'skinny' corner located, then added removable/weighted [industrial strength Velcro] baffle 'wings' to 'square' the corner as much as practical with cavities normally stuffed with old clothes, towels, etc..

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Hostboard Member charles_hidalgo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: GPA Altec 604H II's ....... Finally have a set in my roo

Well these Thorsten Loesch "legacy" circuit 300B monoblocks are going to get a listen with the GPA 604HII's, I have been waiting for this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12