Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Crossover for 16 ohm driver with a 32b horn

I?m thinking about building some 9849 clones. Or something similar. I have some 414-16b woofers, 32b horns, and either 802D or Emilar EA175 horn drivers with 16 ohm phragms. I would just copy the 32343 xover that came in the 9849, except it was only made in 8 ohm (to my knowledge).

Do you guys know of any Altec speaker that used the 32b with a 16 ohm driver?

I had also thought if I could find a complete schematic for the 32343 crossover maybe I could convert the values over for 16 ohm drivers. I found one schematic that shows all the values except those of the inductors. It was something that was posted on this forum years ago. I haven?t seen a complete schematic though.

Junior Hostboard Member horndawg's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Crossover for 16 ohm driver with a 32b horn

Here's the schematic for the 8-Ohm drivers posted by member Salectric over at hifihaven.org

To adapt this to 16-Ohm drivers, halve the value of each capacitor and double the value of each inductor for all components. Conversely, you can mix and match the woofer's and CD's ohmic values by using this technique for the corresponding low-pass or hi-pass sections of the crossover.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horndawg View Post
    Here's the schematic for the 8-Ohm drivers posted by member Salectric over at hifihaven.org

To adapt this to 16-Ohm drivers, halve the value of each capacitor and double the value of each inductor for all components. Conversely, you can mix and match the woofer's and CD's ohmic values by using this technique for the corresponding low-pass or hi-pass sections of the crossover.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you. I had not seen this drawing. I understand the ?doubling of the coils, and halving of the caps? because I have seen that done before. And obviously I would use a 16 ohm lpad instead of an 8 ohm. But how about the resistors, do those get halved or doubled?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Thank you. I had not seen this drawing. I understand the “doubling of the coils, and halving of the caps” because I have seen that done before. And obviously I would use a 16 ohm lpad instead of an 8 ohm. But how about the resistors, do those get halved or doubled?
    Oops, forgot about the resistors. They double in value going from 8 to 16-Ohm drivers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Thanks. That makes it pretty easy then.

I looked at Parts Express, and if I use Dayton coils and caps I am build these for 105$ for the pair. Or if I want to use motor run caps it will be a bit more.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool. If you do go ahead with this project, remember to try the Joe Roberts "cross over" which is basically running the 414 full range and the 802 with a single cap in series. That's it.

No first hand experience, but Joe Roberts claims it sounds excellent. The cap for the 16-ohm 802 should be between 1.0 ~1.5 uF. Given its simplicity and the claimed results, there really isn't a reason for not trying it out.

If you do, please report back.

RE: My New 414 In 614 With Azura 425 (Long) - Joe Roberts - High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

RE: 414 out to 8K.. - Joe Roberts - High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I have my 414 setup via the Joe Roberts method right now. I repurposed some Marantz speaker cabs and use a 414b with a Renkus HF driver on a PE small horn in each cab. The woofer is run wide open and the horn comes in around 6.5khz with just a cap on the HF side.

They sound really good like this run off a little set of Marantz integrated amp and tuner. It’s my everyday system in the living room. I’ve been running this setup 2 or 3 years. Whenever Joe told me that’s how he runs his WE 728B drivers.

Edit: I could be wrong about the 6.5khz. I used whatever cap Joe told me to. I forget the value now, but it’s something around the 1-1.5uf like you mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Even though I like that setup, I have been wanting to use these mint 32b horns I have on the shelf. And I figured why not run a lower xover point like 1.5khz so I can actually hear more of the horns.
    If it doesn?t sound as good I can always go back to running the woofer wide open and bringing the horn in high

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Altec thought it a good idea and its 9849 polars prove it as shown on pg. 11 of tech letter TL221.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I don?t ever remember seeing those tech letters. I found the archive and it looks like a lot of good reading.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Yeah and lots more if they ever get uploaded. All my mimeographed copies are now all but completely blank.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast