Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Re: Altec 604b Holloywood's - Altec Rookie

That said, if all this stuff is still OEM, best to set the XOs aside and replicate them to keep resale high.
    Agreed.

Last pair of N1000 on the bottom of the bay went a little low due to the clueless seller selling them individually as two separate lots. Offered as pairs they usually exceed $1k.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HBTim View Post
    ...I am not, however, new to vintage audio. I have spent almost 20 years buying all the wrong things to eventually find out what what was the right things....
    Tim
    If you have XO (/related) building experience, i'd not discourage anyone from building some custom networks...
    (and of course these could be simple and cheap 1st order designs with just a cap and inductor)
    ... but without commitment to the math and thrifty component selection, you can end up spending hundreds experimenting, pursuing complex slopes, etc.

Or you can textbook it (copy the original, use someone else's design on recommendation), but if of similar inclination to me, you'll likely 'what if I...?' yourself into a collection of parts and projects and of course storing them.

Nothing wrong with that, but it is time consuming.

Had I known then what I do now, I'd have gone active at the get-go.
    These days, the tech and price-points are at levels such that a 2-way (vs 3way/+) system practically begs for it.

You can get a DBX driverack and mic for ~<$300 USD (mine was a 'mint-used' unit on Reverb - though in fact seemed to actually be new)
    You can get good (good enough) 2ch ganged quality stepped attenuators out of Asia (search ebay e.g. dact type smd stepped 10k) for $10 ea.
    2 of those (choose the right value, 10k is probably a good ballpark) some knobs/jacks/cables and you can build individual L/R controls to insert between output of the dbx (or whatever active components you choose) and 2 2ch amps.

Now, the front panel interface of the DBX may be good, but the real ease of use comes from using a laptop/whathaveyou and their software. If nothing else, it's less frustrating on the eyes than a tiny rackmount display. You'll need to connect the dbx to a router, then the router talks to your pc/laptop (which can be wireless if you have it).

So you can sit in the listening position, with the laptop, and try different slopes, different XO points, parametric EQ and time alignment on each driver 'section' (i.e. R+L are locked together, you can't set individual delays for L vs R). Beyond that, if you get the mic you can let it 'auto-eq', and it has a 'level assist' if you want its suggestions: "Turn the right HF up 3db" ... (retest) ... etc.)

If nothing else, it'd let you experiment until you found 'the best' setup... and then you can go an spend the $ to build some passive XO's.

Now of course, this ideally renders your receivers/integrated to the role of 'set it flat and use it just as a power amp'. So if one requires their EQ section etc. because of the ease-of-access that knob twiddling gives, then maybe it's not as good a solution.

Just a thought in case you are similarly inclined. I can elaborate if there is interest. :-)

Currently my signal chain is:

DAC > DBX PA2 > stepped attenuators > power amps

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HBTim View Post
    ...as far as corner cabs, I do not have the two corners to support that build.
    To clarify again, I think in this case the suggestion was merely regarding non-orthogonal cabinets. The implication was not for a klipschorn type corner horn which of course 'requires' a corner to complete the horn. But I could be wrong!
    Last edited by gearfreak; November 16th, 2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: apostophe. it's always the damned apostrophe!

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 604b Holloywood's - Altec Rookie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'm running a Scott 299 through a pair of 604C's, albeit with homemade x-overs. I have not compared other power sources, but this setup is more than I could ask for. The front end is a Dual 1229 TT. Simple and sweet.

FWIW, I also spent years chasing audio unicorns. It was a daily journey and became a huge part of my hobby life. I cobbled together a set of A5s (see my older posts) and as soon as I built a set of Hiraga X-overs, this hobby came to a screeching halt. I finally found the sound I've had in my head since my teens. I suffered post pardon separation anxiety for several weeks, no longer longing in to audio web forums and such. I've been happily listening to amazing music ever since.

I miss you guys!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to all as I have been out of the forum loops for a slight spell. Now with all this time on our hands (bittersweet) I have turned back toward this.

All this to say, I have thought about the XO build as some have suggested here and I do not have extensive XO experience. I did do a Tobin mod for some Bozaks recently and they turned out great but this was mostly spelled out on the thread I was on to accomplish it. Meaning, pull that replace with this. It was very straight forward.

I could, if a parts list and a diagram, AND some help, build my own. I have decent soldering skills and a common sense mechanics brain... sometimes. I have repaired a few of the more difficult turntables out there but this is on on another level I would think.

So, if ya'll want to slap me through the steps i will follow directions and start that project.

Also, I have found a cab that i would really love to build. I have read and read and read about cubic feet of the cab for the phenolic spider and paper cones. So the Stonehenge V cab, from what i have read is not ideal for this driver. So that lead me to the Stonehenge III. AND... I found this very attractive looking build.

I am currently looking for plans, or designs on this one but have come up nuttin...

2A3 Maniac: Altec Stonehenge III - Nachbau mit NOS Altec 604-8G (Alnico) und Originalweiche (Follow-up)

Any thoughts on this cab or info on it??

Anyway, thank you all for putting up with me.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 604b Holloywood's - Altec Rookie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Message Todd White, he has Stonehenge drawings and plans
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    Thank you... I will do that.

On a side note, I was able to reach the builder of that modified Stonehenge III cab and he gave me his very basic plans and more pictures. I am trying to see if he possibly had a cad of it... However, based on our calculations, we see that the interior cubic feet based on his outer dimensions and wall thickness will be at GROSS 5.242 cubic feet. I am wondering if this is an adequate cab size given the 604b?

Would some have the T/S of the 604b? I would like to put it through WinISD and see what size (cubic feet) I actually need. Well, unless someone here knows off hand.

Thank you all so much for your expertise.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

For reference, the 612 cab originally used up through the 'B': https://www.flickr.com/photos/515b/8189575579/

For folks with corners, the 8 ft^3 606 cab allows higher power handling down low for a fuller [mid] bass.

Scroll down for 604 B, C, E, though at this late date, ideally need to measure yours after exercising them enough to loosen them up to Xmax:
    Bill Eckle's vintage specs_ASHLEY

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Given the high value of 604Bs and the N-1000 XO, I'd recommend packing the XOs carefully into a box and putting them on the shelf. I'd then look sriously at the active(electronic) options discussed here, or if passive is what you really want, then build an XO using modern components from digikey etc, with values matching the original N-1000.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    For reference, the 612 cab originally used up through the 'B': https://www.flickr.com/photos/515b/8189575579/

For folks with corners, the 8 ft^3 606 cab allows higher power handling down low for a fuller [mid] bass.

Scroll down for 604 B, C, E, though at this late date, ideally need to measure yours after exercising them enough to loosen them up to Xmax:
    Bill Eckle's vintage specs_ASHLEY

GM
    OUTSTANDING!!

Thank you so much...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    Given the high value of 604Bs and the N-1000 XO, I'd recommend packing the XOs carefully into a box and putting them on the shelf. I'd then look sriously at the active(electronic) options discussed here, or if passive is what you really want, then build an XO using modern components from digikey etc, with values matching the original N-1000.
    Agreed... I will be doing one of these options. Probably the passive route. I will package up the XO's. Great call. Thank you.

I will post my progress once under way and pics. This is like prepping the room before painting. So much prep before the fun...

Thank you everyone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    Well, i tried to use the PM feature and reach out t him but I do not have enough posts to have that feature. As soon as I do i will reach out to him.

Thanks man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast