Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dual 416-8b MLTL design

I got my woofers and drivers back from GPA but wanted to post I've been having second thoughts on this MLTL design for a couple of reasons.

I can't figure out where to put the horns. With two woofers per channel the box needs to be about six feet tall. The size is still doable but I'm concerned it may not work so well with the horn on top of such a tall tall box.

I'm starting to think perhaps subwoofers below 50 or 60hz and scale the main boxes down. MTM with the horn in the middle is a thought but lobbing may be a concern if I can't crossover low enough. (802-8G on 511-b)

Seems more snags to a proper design than I initially anticipated.

Just going to take my time so sure to get it right. No hurry here as this was a planned retirement project for me but I'm not retiring until early next year. (unless I get fed up with work)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Hmm, thought I responded, but got sidetracked and didn't finish it. Anyway, here's what I have so far............

Well, as I noted in my first post it can be folded like my vented [ML] TQWTs. These are 30" x 24" same as the 825/828 x 49.75" high, 60.25" to top of 511 flange: GM with Altec '''sub''' | GM210 | Flickr

Note these were originally subs that laid on their side, firing into the corners with the chopped down 210 horns sealing them off to create 6th order band-pass [BP] alignments, so yours would have the drivers shifted up to the top. Note that at ~14 ft away at the 45 deg toe-in shown [crosses over ~2 ft in front of my nose], only 'running the piano keys' is the horn/woofer height noticeable, though Disney's Fantasia piano scene gets even more weird if you concentrate on it.

If still too tall and got room for wider and deeper, then we can still get the desired net volume [Vb].

That said, with a good selection of relatively inexpensive high power sub drivers, amps, using multiple small[er] subs around the room positioned to average out room mode issues ala Dr. Geddes, Todd Welti is technically a better way to go in many cases:

Earl Geddes, Why Multiple Subs, 2011.pdf - Google Drive

http://web.archive.org/web/201709271...multsubs_0.pdf

WRT to MTM, only done one Altec [dual 416/511] and after some discussion the HT designer chose to 'focus' [cant] the woofers based on measurements to a point between the two rows of seats and to my ears the CC had as good a speech intelligibility as any metro Atlanta cinema even before dropping the screen.

Regardless, unless you use a proper WG [no vintage horns] there's going to be lobing.

Re 802 series power handling, especially the G, some folks say /////////////
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Junior Hostboard Member Mercury3's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Hmm, thought I responded, but got sidetracked and didn't finish it. Anyway, here's what I have so far............

Well, as I noted in my first post it can be folded like my vented [ML] TQWTs. These are 30" x 24" same as the 825/828 x 49.75" high, 60.25" to top of 511 flange: GM with Altec '''sub''' | GM210 | Flickr

Note these were originally subs that laid on their side, firing into the corners with the chopped down 210 horns sealing them off to create 6th order band-pass [BP] alignments, so yours would have the drivers shifted up to the top. Note that at ~14 ft away at the 45 deg toe-in shown [crosses over ~2 ft in front of my nose], only 'running the piano keys' is the horn/woofer height noticeable, though Disney's Fantasia piano scene gets even more weird if you concentrate on it.

If still too tall and got room for wider and deeper, then we can still get the desired net volume [Vb].

That said, with a good selection of relatively inexpensive high power sub drivers, amps, using multiple small[er] subs around the room positioned to average out room mode issues ala Dr. Geddes, Todd Welti is technically a better way to go in many cases:

Earl Geddes, Why Multiple Subs, 2011.pdf - Google Drive

http://web.archive.org/web/201709271...multsubs_0.pdf

WRT to MTM, only done one Altec [dual 416/511] and after some discussion the HT designer chose to 'focus' [cant] the woofers based on measurements to a point between the two rows of seats and to my ears the CC had as good a speech intelligibility as any metro Atlanta cinema even before dropping the screen.

Regardless, unless you use a proper WG [no vintage horns] there's going to be lobing.

Re 802 series power handling, especially the G, some folks say /////////////
    Thanks I'll chew on this a bit - I figure I can solve the lobbing problem by using a choke on the lower woofer at 100hz and the upper woofer 500hz. Like a 2.5 design. That'll help with the roll off and baffle step.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Introducing the new Decware Zen Series, a dual 416-8b MLTL design. This system offers two inputs and two outputs for pure and pristine sound reproduction. The preamplifier and power amplifier are all mounted on a steel chassis for stability and durability. There is a volume control for each input to allow for a quick adjustment of the volume. The front panel features a 4" display to show the volume and input settings. The volume is set to -25db by default. The rear panel features a RCA input for each input and an XLR input for each output. There is also a power switch, ground terminal, fuse holder, and an on/off switch. This system also features built-in protection circuitry that protects the amplifier from damage due to short circuits, overloads, and overheating.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

For those seeking the best of both worlds, the MLTL-XB is the perfect choice. Built with a powerful 416-8b circuit, this amplifier is capable of running two separate speakers with a sound that is pure, natural, and pristine. At the same time, the MLTL-XB is an extremely versatile amp that can be run in a mono configuration for those seeking just one channel. If you are looking for the best of both worlds, the MLTL-XB is the perfect choice. This amp is capable of running two separate speakers with a sound that is pure, natural, and pristine. At the same time, the MLTL-XB is an extremely versatile amp that can be run in a mono configuration for those seeking just one channel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12