Thread: 805s with a little magnavox 6303 amp. my new toy.

Senior Hostboard Member
    805s with a little magnavox 6303 amp. my new toy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

I've always wanted to try a tube amp. and i starting looking at these 6300 series magnavox amps.
    so i went ahead and got this one. The seller sent me an offer that seemed reasonable. Vintage- Magnavox Stereo Hifi Tube Amplifier Amp 9303-00 El84 6bq5 | eBay
    these seem harmless enough. at least the tubes won't kill me to replace. unless they kill me when i change them.

i want to use them with my 805/288 horns. or with some of my other smaller speakers. right now I'm using Ashly amps with the 828/515GHPs and the 3154 subs. they're AB amps. But the amp I'm using for the 805/288s now is an Ashley 2075 which is a class D. i don't think it sounds all that great. so this is why i wanted a small tube amp.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 805s with a little magnavox 6303 amp. my new toy.

Nifty. What's the expected wattage? So it's an active setup, what are the XO details? (perhaps they are fluid)

I'm using 3x 9442's at the moment. Overkill, but it's stable enough and will stay whilst I iron out other details.

Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Those things are VERY dangerous to mess with, I'll get to that part in a minute.
    Before you power it up, see what work has been done. Looks like the coupling caps may have been replaced on the bottom but I can't tell if the can cap on top has been replaced.
    If it has original tubes good chances are that they will still be fine. The EL84 tubes may well be Mullards, if they have soot in them send them to me for immediate disposal. Just kidding, smokey Mullards are great.
    There is a sticky on the tube forum on AK, here is the link.

More Fun With Magnavox: The 9300 Series | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Everything you ever wanted to know about that series of amp.
    Ok, now the dangerous part, you have just purchased a gateway drug, tubes on Altec's is like crack to a drug addict. The rabbit hole your entering has no exit. Welcome

BillWojo

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    Nifty. What's the expected wattage?
    it says it's rated for about 15 watts. But i hear tube watts are kinda rated like dog years.
    So it's an active setup, what are the XO details? (perhaps they are fluid)
    I've been using a behringer DCX2496 running as a 3way i set the crossover points at 80 1000. so the 805s start out at 1000hz

I'm using 3x 9442's at the moment. Overkill, but it's stable enough and will stay whilst I iron out other details.
    do you want one more? its an SA,,,, free. pay the postage. if your close enough you can pick up 2 9444As while your here.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I ran my living room setup off a little EL84 RCA console amp for a couple years. Yes they sound great with Altecs. I was running mine with full range speakers with passive xovers, so my only complaint was it didn’t get loud enough. But since you’re just running your HF with tubes it should get plenty loud.

Now you just need to pickup a vintage Hickok tube tester, pickup a bunch of tubes and start tube rolling
    I found a good source for tubes is old organs that people are throwing away

Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I found a good source for tubes is old organs that people are throwing away...
    or a Cordovox! Should be a pic here. Something really tells me I should'a saved Uncle Stanley's Cordovox. Thank you Uncle Stanley.

...but the Ampeg I got out of the trade owed me nothing by the time it was passed on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    ... do you want one more? its an SA,,,, free. pay the postage. if your close enough you can pick up 2 9444As while your here. ...

So generous to offer thanks! I'll pm you. I would not mind having another to swap in while I work on another.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post
    Those things are VERY dangerous to mess with, I'll get to that part in a minute.
    Before you power it up, see what work has been done. Looks like the coupling caps may have been replaced on the bottom but I can't tell if the can cap on top has been replaced.
    If it has original tubes good chances are that they will still be fine. The EL84 tubes may well be Mullards, if they have soot in them send them to me for immediate disposal. Just kidding, smokey Mullards are great.

More Fun With Magnavox: The 9300 Series | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Ok, now the dangerous part, you have just purchased a gateway drug, tubes on Altec's is like crack to a drug addict. The rabbit hole your entering has no exit. Welcome

BillWojo
    i'm still reading the fun with Magnavox thread. a lot of information there, especially if you have no experience with tube amps.
    Sonic Barbarian

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillWojo View Post

BillWojo
    with the exception of the 2 6eu7 preamps, theres not a single matching tube in the bunch. lol no smokey Mullards. for now I'm just going to get a set of JJs and if the set sounds ok, then i might get a set phillips if i can find them cheap.
    i found the AK thread, these seem like practical mods and thats how i'm going to proceed with it. after i get my semiconductors together. any 9300 amp cap and resistor lists out there?

i really just want to hear what the horns sound like with a tube amp. but i'm most likely going back to SS, just not a class D amp. they just start losing it when the music gets complicated. i hear strange screech sounds.
    Last edited by Phil-G; January 5th, 2020 at 12:21 AM.
    Sonic Barbarian

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

OK, I'm a idiot, what do you mean by rolling tubes ? Only had one tube amp and it burned my fingers and shocked me almost to death as a young idiot. But sounded heavenly on my first ALTEC 603.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LOUDER View Post
    OK, I'm a idiot, what do you mean by rolling tubes ? Only had one tube amp and it burned my fingers and shocked me almost to death as a young idiot. But sounded heavenly on my first ALTEC 603.
    Rolling tubes = swapping different types/brands of tube to find a sound profile you might like......