Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

846A port modification question

Last weekend I went to a local audio meeting and the host demonstrated a highly modify pair of 846As to improve its bass response.

1. A 1.25" by 14" slot was cut in the bottom of the cabinet as close to the cabinet front as possible.
    2. The port area surrounding the 811B horn was sealed.
    3. The speaker was put over a riser that is approximately 50% of the total height of the Valencia
    4. The riser has a build in folded horn, such that the waves out of the bottom slot is traveling approximately 2X the depth of the cabinets.

The results were a pleasant surprise to me. The bass sounded subjective deeper and more define. I probably need to optimize the horn flare and the slot size (the builder could not give a good technical reason for the size he chose), but has anyone in the forum tried this? I can include photos later.

Kwing Lee

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: 846A port modification question

You are probably hearing a peak in the response, any such folded horn would be too tiny to add deep bass.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    You are probably hearing a peak in the response, any such folded horn would be too tiny to add deep bass.
    Hi Old guy.
    You are probably right. As the horn is too short and the mouth too small. On the other hand, this would be a good way to increase the internal volume of the cabinet and redo the port, perhaps making it a pseudo M19...?

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwingylee View Post
    Hi Old guy.
    You are probably right. As the horn is too short and the mouth too small. On the other hand, this would be a good way to increase the internal volume of the cabinet and redo the port, perhaps making it a pseudo M19...?
    I would maybe like GM to chime in. But yes, you could I think build a riser and open the bottom of the Valencia. Everything would need to be sealed well.
    I would just make the riser a box. I think you should be able to add the two volumes and tune the port accordingly.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Done right, the vent becomes a type of broadband radiator [AKA double bass reflex] instead of a ~ 'one note' resonant pipe, so can fill in above box tuning where the driver runs out of Xmax.

The trade-off is more vent harmonic output comb filtering with the driver's output up into the mid bass and some of the 'full range' driver aficionados will make them more like mini-BLHs with blending up into the lower mids, but this is getting up into our acute hearing BW, so to be avoided with HE systems IME.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Done right, the vent becomes a type of broadband radiator [AKA double bass reflex] instead of a ~ 'one note' resonant pipe, so can fill in above box tuning where the driver runs out of Xmax.

The trade-off is more vent harmonic output comb filtering with the driver's output up into the mid bass and some of the 'full range' driver aficionados will make them more like mini-BLHs with blending up into the lower mids, but this is getting up into our acute hearing BW, so to be avoided with HE systems IME.

GM
    GM, Old Guy, getting it right is always the challenging part :-) ... I have walked away from this idea as I was able to pick up a set of M19 cabinets with N1201 crossovers plus a set of blown 416-8Bs. I might just move the components from the Flamenco to the M19 cabinets, once I repair the water damage on the bottom of one of the M19 cabinets :-(

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Not really, but one does need a good understanding of acoustics, T/S theory.

Here's a vintage prosound alignment modded to use T/S specs, so works pretty good with Altec or similar type specs, but not with modern day low Vas [super stiff] drivers that causes a [huge] peaking at Fb: Vb = Vas/5.76, Fb = Fs/0.707

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.