Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Altec Big Red

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    .

    There's a studio in New York where the Main
    Monitors are Altec Big Red.

    I'll let you in on a secret: Celine Dion recorded her latest French Cd there.

    Studio Avatar
    http://www.avatarstudios.net/

    3

    Convergence

    ......................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just recorded there last week, it's a very nice place. Unfortunately, they don't use the 604's, it seems they're more for display. I wasn't in the studio pictured, it was one of the other rooms and they had a set of Urei monitors but again they weren't using them, they were using the NS-10's as pictured above. There were Big Reds in the recording room presumably for playback but we didn't use them.

    I originally bought 604's after hearing them in another studio in Brooklyn, Systems Two. Again, there they were using Genelex monitors while the Big Reds sat idle. I found the sound of the Genelex very lousy and congested, so I asked to hear something on the "big speakers". The engineer/owner's response was rather interesting, he said, "We used to use those all the time and personally I think they sound better but these days everybody wants to hear the little monitors so that's what we use just about all of the time." What I heard blew me away, I asked what they were and the next week I managed to find a pair of 604E's (w/o cabinets) and have been happy ever since.

    Another studio that has them is Van Gelder in New Jersey, again mixing is on Genelex monitors but there are a set of 604's in the recording room and they were used for playback.

    I have heard them a couple of other times in a couple of other studios, and been surprised at how bad and bloated the bass was. It seems the "big speakers" are what the rock clientele wants to hear and so I think they EQ them for "impressive", geared to that audience. I've heard the same from JBL and Gauss systems in control rooms.

    Not exactly Altec but Sear Sound uses three-way horns triamped by McIntosh tube amps. They're about 8' tall and use JBL drivers but again I don't think they are used very often relative to the Genelex and Yamaha monitors.

    Dave

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    We have a TV show like Entertainment Tonight but in french only.
    They showed Celine Dion at the Avatar
    Studio recording with 2 composer producer
    reacting on playback. The sound seemed to be coming from the Big Red. They have a set in studio A and B and also in the Live room.
    The other studio uses Westlake as main.

    Their Live room is quite something .

    http://www.avatarstudios.net/

    Convergence

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member vuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Slightly OT, but does anyone knows what speakers Malcom Addey uses for remastering? Because his Mosaic Records' remasters are amazing and sound so nice on Altecs.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    They've ordered NEW 604-8H-II's from Bill @ Great Plains Audio, and plan on having them installed soon. He's really excited about it! They told him they prefer the sound of the 604, and, if they like these new ones, more will be ordered...

  6. #6
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by vuki:
    Slightly OT, but does anyone knows what speakers Malcom Addey uses for remastering? Because his Mosaic Records' remasters are amazing and sound so nice on Altecs.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wholeheartedly agree with that.

    Dave

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    what speakers Malcom Addey uses for remastering?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think he's retired. He started his career at EMI.

    He probably still has access to abey road studios.

    Convergence
    ........................

  8. #8
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was in Studio B, you can see the Big Reds in the picture of the recording room. The control room has Urei 813's.

    Studio A does seem to have Big Reds in the control room.

    It's a shame they aren't used more often.

    Dave

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member vuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    I think he's retired. He started his career at EMI.

    He probably still has access to abey road studios.
    [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In 2006 he still remastered for Mosaic Records in his Malcom Addey Studio, New York forums

  10. #10
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Todd W. White:
    They've ordered NEW 604-8H-II's from Bill @ Great Plains Audio, and plan on having them installed soon. He's really excited about it! They told him they prefer the sound of the 604, and, if they like these new ones, more will be ordered...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is encouriging news.

    I feel most of todays music would be so much better if mixed right on the `right` speakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.