Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought that some of you would like to see one of the three Altec 817 enclosures that I have just built. I know that they are not part of the Voice of the Theatre series of speakers but the labels look cool. They each have a pair of the Altec 515E speakers. I now have to build the hometheatre room for these animals. I will be using Altec 805 horns with 288K drivers for the high end.
    my817frontsmallfile
    Thanks for looking. Reed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Reed,

this is really a great work, gratulation!

What was your trick building the horn?

Do you think you need a subwoofer for the low end?

Best
    Wolf

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very nice, or as they say here in Maine WICKED GOOD.

Regards,

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very nice looking reconstruction of the 817A! But, they are indeed " Voice of the Theatre " cabinets. I have two of these and I like them, too!

Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OUTSTANDING cabinet work. I'm sure you're proud, as you should be.

Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was a trick building the horns. The horns were built first. I cut the 4 curved plywood ribs per the radius of 30 31/32". The corner is 9 7/8" on one side and 13 1/2" on the other side. I then used plenty of Gorilla Glue and attached both the backs and sides of the horns to the 4 curved plywood ribs. I cut 3 holes in the back side so that I could fill the horns with foam insulation. Next I cut 1/2 way through the 3/8" plywood for the horn curved pieces every 1". I used a lot of Gorilla Glue and about 6 ratchet straps to bend the 3/8" plywood around the plywood ribs. When the glue dried I removed the excess glue and used a router to trim the front and back edge of the horn assemblies. I filled the horns with expanding foam while the straps were holding the curved piece. I filled about 1/3 with foam and let dry. The next day I filled another 1/3 and the last day the last 1/3. The horns are now dead. They do not ring or resonate at all. My next step was to attach some small temporary tops and bottoms to each horn side. I did this to get the 8" spacing between the back opening of the horn and also I glued the baffle to the horn sides at this time. When the Gorilla Glue dried I removed the temporary tops and bottoms and Gorilla Glued and screwed the real tops and bottoms to the horn assembly. The sides were then attached and the rear frame for the back was installed. I used a lot of Gorilla Glue and a lot of screws. Now that the fiberglass insulation is installed and the backs are on the enclosures almost seem as if they were made in a mold. Tomorrow I am going to start making the sleds for the H.F. horns. Later this summer I will be building 4 modified versions of the Altec 8182 enclosures. Each will have the Altec 3182 18" woofer. I will be using the Audio Control "Phase Coupled Activator" as a crossover and bass enhancer for my left, center and right channels. The 4th 8182 will be for the LFE channel. I will have to lay the 8182's on their back and install the 3182's in the end. I don't like to do it that way but this is the only way that I will be able to use them. The 4 8182's on the floor, the 817's on top of them and the horns on the very top. Thanks for the nice comments. Reed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Very nice! That's a lot of speaker for a HT small enough to need the horizontal dispersion of 805s. In every one I've been involved in where a CC was used, 40-60deg was the limit so I had to DIY the horns.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have never seen the Altec 817 listed in the Altec "Voice of the Theatre" catalogs. I believe that thay were intended for commercial sound, P.A. or locations other than the motion picture theatres. They would be weak on the low end but with the subs that I will be using with the 817's they will be my "Voice of the Theatre". The "Voice of the Theatre" series include the A4, A7, A8.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Reed,
    Congratulations on your excellent work with the 817's.

I aggree that they were not part of the VOTT range, but were desgined for PA applications.

The 817 is a reduced size version of the 211 cabinet and the 816 is a reduced size version of the 828 cabinet.

I use a very similar combination of Altec loudspeakers for both live and installed applications.

My system uses the 817 loaded with 2 x 515-8GHP and the Mid/High cabinet uses either the 805 or 1005 horn. One horn uses the 290 driver and the other uses the 288. The system is run 3 way active and crosses over at 500Hz from the 817 to the 290 and 6000Hz from the 290 to the 288.

I have found that the low end performance is quite good from the 817 if you are in large room or outdoors. You may find the low end to be lacking if your listening area is "small".

A bit if "eq" does wonders for the very low end performance of the 817, if you do not want to run sub-woofers.

For our live work we do often run sub-woofers and our sub-woofers have 2 x 3184 woofers in a 24 cubic foot cabinet. They deliver an amazing sub-woofer sound.

If you want to see pictures of this system you can go to www.cpcproductions.com and look in the ALtec Lansing section. The 817/1005 system is called the "Arena" system.

Please post some pictures of the completed system.

Have fun.
    Murray.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will be equalizing with 1/3 octave equalizers. This is a photo of all 3 enclosures. I will post more photos as I complete the project. my817all3smallfile

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast