Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve
    I can not see the heads of the woofer mounting screws. I hope you use hex head not slotted or Phillips. Less likely to slip off and stab a cone.

What XO ( active ) and XO frequency will you be using? If you have access to a scope or scope software, I'll help you adjust the woofer time delay.
    Don

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Originally posted by donaldpatten:
    Steve
    I can not see the heads of the woofer mounting screws. I hope you use hex head not slotted or Phillips. Less likely to slip off and stab a cone.

What XO ( active ) and XO frequency will you be using? If you have access to a scope or scope software, I'll help you adjust the woofer time delay.
    Don
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here's some pics...and I did use slot head bolts...only kind I could find easily...easy to replace but I'm pretty careful with this kind of stuff:

from the front
    from the back
    I really love the standard dimensions gpa uses on their woofers. 1-1/2 inch bolts, sealing washers, tee nuts and the bolts perfectly flush with the tee nut out the front, just zero overlap. Thank you gpa!

We can certainly talk about the crossovers, thank you very much Don...I realize I have a lot of work to do there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Close to tears
    Now I fully understand....why Altec is the king. I've got got goose bumps all over. The dynamics and power is simply incredible. Even set up all wrong like it is right now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve,
    Congrats on a beautiful project. As far as mounting the Edgar horns, I found this position best in my installation, somewhat similar to your setup.

http://www.bhorns.com/FR001.jpg

Boyd

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Boyd, thanks...
    I have enjoyed the pics at your site and your experience in mating this edgarhorn into the system intrigues me... Can you talk about the differences with an altec mid range style horn and this horn in your set up? Thanks...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve, the Edgars have their advantages. I've not compared them to 511's, only 311-60's and various multicells. I found them to image better and sound a bit more natural. However to my disappointment I found they do not throw well, so they perform best when your listening position is closer. Listening from 14' back as installed they are mighty fine, at 24' back in a larger room I discovered an Altec horn or round tractrix both throw better than the rectangular Edgars, at least in my experience. Do experiment, especially with Xover frequencies.

Boyd

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

That's interesting...thanks for your thoughts...I do appreciate it. I'm all ears! I imagine you've been listening to this set up for a coupla years now at least?

Tonight I finally sat down and listened a little closer and with the time delay I can now plainly hear this muddled reverb artifact. I've left it wrong like this to really characterize what I'm hearing. Phasing too as certain instruments disappear or become thin in certain ranges.... Also a distortion too is present upon further listening as a certain garbling is present. So I delayed the mid range horn and it was like a sonic pop where it pulled together and cleared up. Fascinating to listen to this effect.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 20, 2008 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Steve Mac ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steve, the system was installed as pictured about 5 yrs ago. Wall-mounting the Altec 815a's made a big difference in the soundstage compared to having the cabs sitting in the room. If you could add wings to your woofer horn mouths I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Boyd

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Steve Mac:
    What do you guys think will sound better?
    This?
    Layout with 511
    Or this?
    Layout with Edgar Horn...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, considering that;

Originally posted by Steve Mac:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...When I made accomodations in the expansion of the wedges, which contain all of the "information", I alloted for the outside dimension of the mouth of the 511...

What do you think?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Originally posted by BoydB:
    ...If you could add wings to your woofer horn mouths I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Boyd
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I am still thinking of what the design
    for the system "front" is to look like and am considering working wings into the design...so thank.

Well, I'm having a ball listening. There was something I liked about my maggies in that it was easy to peep through and see instruments clearly. Until these mid bass cabinets I had never heard each and every note of a muddy bass walking around the song. Uncanny. I have never heard a drum kit like this either. This system is definitely better in the mid bass area than the tympani bass panels. And the tympani panels are no slouches.