Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A friend had an inground pool installed and the co. had supplied it's own electrician to do the rough in (bonding gnd. , light ect.). This installation he bonded the ladder, board, light casing and a few points on the rebar but there was no leeder running from the pool to bond to the panel. They told us that he grounded it under the concrete deck around the pool, the client hadn't noticed a 10' rod being driven in the ground and even if it was would this be OK ? as I have not heard of this way before but it does seem to make sense, as I've always considered the pool bonding to a pool sub-panel as a parrellel ground, as if you were to ground the sub-panel with a grounding rod.
    Any comments, Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The reason for bonding together all the non-electrical equipment, (ladder, board brackets, rebar, etc,) and the non-current-carrying metal parts of electrical equipment (light fixture shells, deck boxes, etc) is to keep them at the same potential. There is no requirement to connect them to a grounding electrode.

However, the non-current-carrying metal parts of the electrical equipment must also be bonded back to the panelboard supplying the equipment, so that the breaker will trip to clear a ground fault.

Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Ed for your response. I'm aware of the code requirements for the pool bonding, I was just wondering if this installation is to code and it seems that the bonding #6 bare copper wasn't returned back to the panelboard and their reasoning is that it's grounded at the pool ???
    In your response you mentioned that the bonding return to the panelboard is required so the breaked will trip to clear a ground fault...My questions are:
    1- would the breaker/breakers opperation be jepardized by not having this done?
    2-Would the fact that all that copper wire running around the pool under the concrete deck be at ground potential the same way as you would have a ground plate or rod to the main panelboard.
    3-What about the issue of the parrell ground that would result if the pool bonding wire is returned to the sub-panel that supplies the pool equipment.
    Thanks again.