Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

We found a stove in our basement in great condition. It is a Chambers that came with what I'm assuming are the original manual & cookbook. I cannot find a model #, other than the manual says "B" series. The back of the range has a working timer along with black ceramic salt and pepper shakers that fit into slots on either side of the timer. Both the manual and cookbook are dated 1940. Any information about this stove would be appreciated!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Congratulations!

You have a CHAMBERS MOdel B!

There were several versions of the "B" series, but the fact that you have a working timer AND the salt & pepper shakers makes it more rare than most. There should be a plate somewhere on it that tells the exact model number - perhaps it is on the back of the range.

Typically, the timer breaks due to lack of proper care (I would take it to a good watch repairman and have it serviced), and the shakers get lost or broken.

Are the light fixtures on the sides intact?

Regarding the literature -

1. Does it have the oven canning chart? If so, let me know via e-mail.

2. If you can get me an exact model number or a picture, I probably have sales literature for it that I'd be willing to trade copies with you for.

3. The Second Edition of the cookbook has a LOT more recipes than does the First Edition, which you have. I have high-quality copies of them available, and suggest that you use one of them and preserve your original. The same falls true for the Service Manual.

There is NO reason to discard or not use this wonderful unit! It can be cleaned up, checked out, serviced, and brought back into daily use!

Once you've learned CHAMBERS cookery, you'll NEVER go back to ordinary ranges again!

Let me know how I can help...

Happy cooking with the gas turned [b][i]OFF![/i][/b]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I saw a stove like the one you described once. It was at a junk store on the side of the road. I went back a few months later, and it was gone. I have never seen another Chambers with Salt and Pepper Shakers.
    Good Luck,
    Paul Low

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ December 15, 2004 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Pablosanchez ]</font>