Thread: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

Senior Hostboard Member
    Credits
    Follows
    Following

Re: Altec 604- Best bang for the buck

Altec 604- Best bang for the buck
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Correct, a N3000 [super] tweeter, which is a little horn loaded microphone diaphragm, so quite 'transparent' sounding and very fragile with no user replacement parts and seems like there's either no more diaphragms and/or the guy that was repairing them is no longer in business, but not sure.

Some folks really like them, but I'm no fan of using woofers over such a wide BW, so for me would only be fine for AM/FM Muzak type systems.

GM
    Since I made that inquiry I've had the chance to actually see how the N3000-based coaxials are constructed. I wanted to find one with a blown tweet in order to experiment with ways to bring them back, since diaphragms are no longer available, but even those are too expensive to purchase and play with.

However, I did run across a fellow who took things into his own hands. His solution is not ideal, but it will get those coaxes back up and running: Altec 601C and the 3000. - diyAudio I don't see why the same couldn't be done by using a horn driver.

For A Specific Rundown On 604 Evolution:

Altec 604 Duplex Speakers and related

And For Elitopus: "I am also interested in the newer PAS, Renkus, and Radian "coax" drivers. I would like to find a cheap pair to play around with."

Me, too! Celestian has just introduced a new line of coaxials in 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inch sizes. Their design is similar to the Altec N3000-based units in that the tweeter and woofer both utilize the same magnet structure, but with some big improvements in order to make the tweets rugged.

Coaxial/Twin Cone - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

GeeDeeEmm

Senior Hostboard Member
    Credits
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    From what I have read it seems the 604 8gs are the best bang for the buck, and sound really good. I know I adore mine with great recordings, so much depth, power, delicacy and imaging that is second to nothing I have heard. Plus you get to loan them for free, buy them use them sell them break even or come out ahead.
    I feel the same way about mine.

And yes I think the best bang for the buck. Especially if you buy them as singles.

Credits
    Follows
    Following

Members do not see advertisements
    Altec 604- Best bang for the buck
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Me, too! Celestian has just introduced a new line of coaxials in 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inch sizes.
    A pity the 10", 15" is OEM only. The 8" + separate sub system looks promising though.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123