Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What do you think, is it a real model, or a probabilistic approximation to a model yet unknown?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't even know what it is, other than hearing the phrase a few times.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IRT Xellos:

Quantum Mechanics is the currently accepted basic Physics theory. You can read about it [ame="http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics"]here[/ame]. Although I'll save you from that - just focus on this bit:

"In quantum mechanics, the instantaneous state of a system is described by a wave function which encodes the probability distribution of all measurable properties, or observables. Quantum mechanics only makes predictions about these probability distributions, and does not assign definite values to the observables." (from Wikipedia.org)

This is the key issue of it. This theory is supported by Bohr, Schr?dinger, Heisenberg, and most of today's physicists, but Einstein, Bohm and others opposed.

The theory states that you cannot tell where an electron is, but where it is probable for it to be.

I don't have much of an issue with this despite my deterministic trend, but the problem arises when you keep developing this and similar theories. You get yourself into instrumentalism, which basically says that eveything is indeterminated until you observe it. I think this is *very* wrong, and it's in a way a similar mistake to what the antropocentric fools (because of religion) said in the Middle Age. I can elaborate on this and even try to partially prove it wrong by reduction to the absurd but I don't have that kind of time today.

I'm not an expert at Physics, nor I pretend to be so, but my common sense dictates that it's very unlikely for this to be true. I think as Einstein, that the universe is deterministic, the principles of reality and locality exist, and that there will be a day when scientists will abandon Quantum Mechanics in favor of a theory which works equal or better than the current theories, but keeps reality and locality, and is not based on probabilities.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 08, 2003 01:55 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, todo esto fue a ra?z de informarme sobre la Paradoja EPR, mencionada en Xenosaga. Me qued? leyendo algunos art?culos relacionados y me dio por plantearme esto.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting. I still have to remember what was Quantum mechanic and i can tell you my opinion.

Ayer te Viste "REDES" no Wiseman? (an spanish TV Program...)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Entonces es una gran coincidencia, yo li vi un poco por encima y tambien empezaron a hablar sobre mecanica cu?ntica... en un libro titulado "La ciencia de Harry Potter"... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The ting is that even those scientists don't know what's this about.
    They ASSUME theories. They make predictions.

Oh and btw Wiseman is right.

Observation means electrical signals sent by the sense organs to the brain.
    Yet we simply cannot observe everyting.

EX:The human eye cannot see infrared.

Therefore there are some things that exist and we simply don't know about them.